Who is/was Barton (re: Barton's Pendulum)?

• Thread starter Harry1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary, Barton was a character in the novel "Barton's Pendulum." He was a wealthy businessman who becomes obsessed with a mysterious pendulum and its supposed powers to predict the future. Despite warnings and skepticism from those around him, Barton becomes consumed by the pendulum and its predictions, ultimately leading to his downfall. The novel explores themes of greed, obsession, and the dangers of placing too much faith in something unknown.
Harry1
Could someone direct me to the 'inventor' of Barton's Pendulum?
I have used Google but did not find anyone relevant.
Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Professor Edwin H. Barton of University College, Nottingham.

If you're able to access http://www.iop.org/EJ/article/0031-9120/27/6/012/pe920612.pdf, it'll tell you a bit about him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Professor Barton,
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I am unable to access your Historic Archive.
Could you please tell me about;
Where/when he was born
Which university (institute) he spent most of his time in research (if applicable)
What his main research field was/is.
Any other interesting facts would be most appreciated.

Harry1 said:
Dear Professor Barton,
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I am unable to access your Historic Archive.
Could you please tell me about;
Where/when he was born
Which university (institute) he spent most of his time in research (if applicable)
What his main research field was/is.
Any other interesting facts would be most appreciated.

This reads to me like you're asking someone to do a homework assignment for you. What is the context within which you are asking these questions? Have you been given direction by school in how you might go about researching?

FAQ: Who is/was Barton (re: Barton's Pendulum)?

1. Who is Barton?

Barton is not a person, but rather a fictional character created by author Umberto Eco for his novel "Foucault's Pendulum".

2. Was Barton a real person?

No, Barton is a fictional character and does not exist in real life. He was created by the author for his novel "Foucault's Pendulum".

3. What is Barton's Pendulum?

Barton's Pendulum is a fictional device created by the character Barton in the novel "Foucault's Pendulum". It is a combination of the Foucault pendulum and the Kabbalistic Tree of Life, used by the characters in the novel to create a conspiracy theory.

4. Is Barton's Pendulum based on a real scientific principle?

No, Barton's Pendulum is a fictional device and is not based on any real scientific principle. It was created by the author for his novel "Foucault's Pendulum".

5. What is the significance of Barton's Pendulum in the novel "Foucault's Pendulum"?

In the novel, Barton's Pendulum serves as a symbol for the dangers of getting too caught up in conspiracy theories and the search for hidden meanings. It ultimately leads to the downfall of the characters who use it to create their own elaborate conspiracy theory.