Why are the K points in the Brillouin zone of graphene inequivalent?

In summary, the Brillouin Zone (BZ) of both graphene and the (111) surface of metals like Ag(111) exhibit a hexagon shape. However, the BZ of graphene has two inequivalent points K and K', while the K point of the BZ of Ag(111) is equivalent. This is due to the lower symmetry of the elementary cell of graphene compared to Ag, resulting in a smaller set of equivalent K points in graphene. Group theoretically, all K points are considered equivalent in both graphene and Ag(111). The electronic origin of the inequivalence of K and K' in graphene may be related to a √3 honeycomb reconstruction.
Newstein
The Brillouin Zone (BZ) of both graphene and the (111) surface of metals like Ag(111) eihibit a hexagon, but I wonder why the BZ of graphene has two inequivalent ponits K and K', while the K point of BZ of the Ag(111) is equivalent.
Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
In case of Graphite, a primitive elementary cell will contain 2 carbon atoms, while the Ag layer will contain only one. If I remember correctly, the reciprocal and direct lattice are identical in these two cases, so the Brillouin zone also has two K points in case of C and only one in case of Ag.

Thank you, but I remember the BZ of both graphene and Ag(111) is a hexagon, identical to the honeycomb lattice of graphene in real space, while the lattice of Ag(111) in real space is the close packed structure. I want to know is the correlation of lattice in real space and the BZ, or does the inequivalence of K and K' of graphen originate from the two inequivalent sublattices?

Yes, the BZ have the same shape. However, the symmetry groups acting on it are different as Graphene and Ag have different space groups, the group of Graphene being a sub group of the one of Ag. This is due to the lower symmetry of the elementary cell of Graphene as compared to Ag.
I can only make a guess on how to proceed:
Find the little group of the k vector belonging to the K point. Probably it is identical for Graphene and Ag. Then by the orbit stabilizer theorem, the set of equivalent K vectors has to be smaller for Graphene than for Ag.

Newstein said:
The Brillouin Zone (BZ) of both graphene and the (111) surface of metals like Ag(111) eihibit a hexagon, but I wonder why the BZ of graphene has two inequivalent ponits K and K', while the K point of BZ of the Ag(111) is equivalent.
Thank you in advance!
I pondered about this problem further and realized that Graphene and Ag(111) have the same (wallpaper) symmetry group. Hence, group theoretically I would expect also the K points to transform alike. While the adjacent K points cannot be mapped upon using only translations by lattice vectors, they can be mapped upon using mirror symmetry of the lattice, so on symmetry grounds, I would consider all K points equivalent, whether in Graphene or Ag.
So in what sense do you expect do you expect the points K to be (in)equivalent in Graphene/Ag?

DrDu said:
I pondered about this problem further and realized that Graphene and Ag(111) have the same (wallpaper) symmetry group. Hence, group theoretically I would expect also the K points to transform alike. While the adjacent K points cannot be mapped upon using only translations by lattice vectors, they can be mapped upon using mirror symmetry of the lattice, so on symmetry grounds, I would consider all K points equivalent, whether in Graphene or Ag.
So in what sense do you expect do you expect the points K to be (in)equivalent in Graphene/Ag?

Thank you! I think that what you said is right. Considering only the group theory, all K points are equivalent, whether in graphene or Ag(111). The inequivalence of K and K' in graphene might have its electronic origin. The problem I encountered is a √3 honeycomb reconstruction (structural reconstruction) of graphene, and I want to know how many inequivalent points in the BZ. So I consider first the origin of the inequivalence of the K points of graphene.

1. What is a Brillouin zone?

A Brillouin zone is a concept in solid state physics that represents the boundaries of allowed energy states for electrons in a crystal lattice. It is a mathematical construct that helps describe the behavior of electrons in a periodic potential.

2. How is the Brillouin zone related to graphene?

The Brillouin zone is relevant to graphene because it is a two-dimensional crystal lattice. As a result, the Brillouin zone for graphene is also two-dimensional, as opposed to the three-dimensional Brillouin zone for most other materials.

3. What is the shape of the Brillouin zone for graphene?

The Brillouin zone for graphene has a hexagonal shape, which is a result of the hexagonal arrangement of carbon atoms in the graphene lattice.

4. How does the Brillouin zone affect the electronic properties of graphene?

The Brillouin zone plays a crucial role in determining the electronic properties of graphene, including its energy bands and electronic density of states. It also affects the transport properties of graphene, such as its conductivity and thermal conductivity.

5. Can the Brillouin zone of graphene be manipulated?

Yes, the Brillouin zone of graphene can be manipulated by applying external stimuli such as strain, electric and magnetic fields, and chemical doping. This manipulation can lead to interesting effects on the electronic and transport properties of graphene, making it a promising material for future technological applications.