1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Why boiling occurs at fix temperature?

1. Mar 3, 2016 #1
    Can anyone explain to me why does temperature of water remains constant while boiling in an open vessel or in general sense why phase transition is isothermal in nature?please give me answers from thermodynamic point of view also.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Boiling in an open vessel is ordinarily at constant pressure. This is the thermodynamic constraint for constant temperature boiling of a single component system.

4. Mar 3, 2016 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

How could it be anything but fixed? Suppose you boil away half of the water in a pot. What is different about the remaining water from what you started with, that would cause the boiling temperature to be different?

5. Mar 3, 2016 #4
    I suppose one could ask why phase transition is a discrete transition. The OP asked why phase transition is isothermal. I could re-state that question to ask why does a liquid absorb heat and convert to a gas at the same temperature? Why does the liquid not simply absorb more and more heat, and become less and less dense, and gradually change properties from those of a liquid to those of a gas as it's temperature rises?

6. Mar 3, 2016 #5

russ_watters

So, that question boils down to what is a liquid/what is a gas/why are they different states of matter?

They are different because in a liquid the molecules are loosely chemically bonded together and in a gas, they are not. Chemical bonds carry a specific amount of energy and given the same conditions always require the same energy to break.

7. Mar 3, 2016 #6
    Perhaps i could not phrase my question well so i am writing the exact statement of a text book which is like this
    An equilibrium process in the course of which the system's temperature remains constant is known as an isothermal (constant-temperature) process. An example of an isothermal process is the boiling of pure water in an open vessel: until all the water boils out of the vessel, its temperature remains practically constant (provided atmospheric pressure does not change in the process of boiling).now my question is why in this case temperature remains constant.

8. Mar 3, 2016 #7

russ_watters

What have you learned from the responses you have gotten so far?

9. Mar 3, 2016 #8
    Ok guys.i got the point.thank you all of you for helping me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted