1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Why can we assume the temperature of a fluid is T_sat?

1. Sep 10, 2016 #1
    For example, in this question..

A 11 L rigid container contains 10-kg of R134a at 100kPa. Determine the temperature and total enthalpy in the container.

Why can we just assume that the temperature we're looking for is T_sat, how do we know this isn't a compressed liquid? How do we know it isn't a superheated vapor?

The answer (-26.37) is found by looking it up in the saturated R134a table.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2016 #2
    The specific volume of your sample is 1.1 L/kg = 0.0011 m^3/kg. Look in your tables and see if you find any compressed liquid or superheated vapor with this specific volume at 100 kPa. But it does lie between the specific volume of saturated liquid and the specific volume of saturated vapor at 100 kPa.

4. Sep 10, 2016 #3
    Ohhh okay that makes sense. Thank you.

This doesn't relate the the original problem I posted, but what happens if when using the equation v=v_f + x(v_fg) with the values from the saturated tables, I get a quality that is greater than one? Does that mean that the substance is actually a vapor or what?

5. Sep 10, 2016 #4
    Sure. In fact you should be able to see that from the superheated tables.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted