Thermodynamics and steam, temperature etc tables

In summary, the problem involves heating a closed container with 2000 kg of water initially in a saturated liquid state at 150 ºC. The pressure is increased to 2.5 MPa and the final temperature and volume of the container need to be found. To solve this, the steam tables need to be consulted to find the specific volume of the initial state and the volume can then be calculated using the mass and specific volume. The process is assumed to be a constant volume process with the liquid taking up the entire container. On a P-v diagram, the saturated liquid state will become a compressed liquid at 2.5 MPa.
Cozy_Powell

Homework Statement

2000 kg of water, initially in a saturated liquid state and at 150 ºC, are heated in a closed container of constant volume, until the pressure is 2,5 MPa.
Find the final temperature and the volume of the container.

Homework Equations

I believe it is a matter of consulting the tables... but I am missing something because I don't know how to do it!

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe it is necessary to know if the water, in the final state, is superheated vapor ou saturated liquid/ vapor... is it? How do we know that?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's safe to assume that all of the water becomes vapor, because it asks to find the volume of the container, which might mean you will have to find the volume of the gaseous H2O.

Cozy_Powell said:

Homework Statement

2000 kg of water, initially in a saturated liquid state and at 150 ºC, are heated in a closed container of constant volume, until the pressure is 2,5 MPa.
Find the final temperature and the volume of the container.

Homework Equations

I believe it is a matter of consulting the tables... but I am missing something because I don't know how to do it!

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe it is necessary to know if the water, in the final state, is superheated vapor ou saturated liquid/ vapor... is it? How do we know that?

Many thanks!

The initial state is saturated liquid at T=150 C.

(1) Can you use the steam tables to find the specific volume of this state? While you're at it, what is the initial pressure?

(2) If you know the mass and specific volume, can you find the volume?

The liquid is heated at constant volume. Think about what the saturation curve looks like on a P-v diagram. Which direction are you headed if you start with a saturated liquid and add heat? What state is the fluid in when it reaches 2.5 MPa? (Hint: Does the saturation specific volume of pure liquid increase or decrease as temperature and pressure are increased? Is 2.5 MPa above or below the critical pressure?) Which table do we use for water in this state?

BBB
p.s. cryora's speculation is inapt.

Thank you very much bbbeard!

Regarding to (2)... I've done that, but can we assume that the volume of the liquid is equal to the volume of the container?

Cozy_Powell said:
can we assume that the volume of the liquid is equal to the volume of the container?

Well, if you don't assume that that liquid takes up the entire container, then the problem does not have a unique solution. My take, as someone who has taught thermo many times, is that they intend for you to assume that the process is a constant volume process, i.e. that the liquid takes up the entire container and that the container is perfectly rigid.

BBB

oh... I'll assume that then! I didn't know we could do it because nothing in the problem tells us that.

Thank you very much for your previous hint on the P-v diagram!
I was making the huge mistake of thinking that the saturated liquid would get into vapor and that was driving me mad! Thanks to you, now I understand that it becomes a compressed liquid ;)

Thank you!

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, energy, and work. It studies the behavior of systems when they are subjected to changes in temperature, pressure, and volume.

2. How is steam related to thermodynamics?

Steam is a commonly used working fluid in thermodynamic systems. It is created by boiling water and contains a large amount of energy that can be utilized to do work. The study of steam and its properties is an important part of thermodynamics.

3. What is temperature and how is it measured?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. It is commonly measured in degrees Celsius, Fahrenheit, or Kelvin using thermometers. In thermodynamics, temperature plays a critical role in determining the direction of heat flow.

4. What are temperature tables and how are they used?

Temperature tables, also known as steam tables, are charts that show the properties of water and steam at different temperatures and pressures. These tables are used in thermodynamics to calculate the properties of steam, such as its enthalpy, entropy, and specific volume.

5. How do engineers use thermodynamics and steam tables in their work?

Engineers use thermodynamics and steam tables to design and analyze various systems, such as power plants, refrigeration systems, and engines. They use these tools to optimize the efficiency and performance of these systems by understanding how heat and energy are transferred and utilized.