Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why can't I graph w/maple & calc

1. Oct 7, 2007 #1

fsm

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    f(x)=[tex]\frac{(-1)^{x}}{x*\sqrt{x}}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    n/a

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm trying to plot this in maple and my calculator but no dice. What am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2007 #2
    Imaginary Range

The problem is not with Maple or your calculator. If you analyze the function, you will notice that the domain of the function is only positive integers. If non-integers are substituted into the numerator [tex]x[/tex], a sample result would be [tex](-1)^{1/2} = \sqrt{-1} = i[/tex]. Similarly, all non-integers will produce a form of an imaginary result. [tex]0[/tex] can't be part of the domain either since [tex]\frac{(-1)^0}{0\sqrt(0)}=\frac{1}{0}[/tex], which is undefined. Finally, no negative number for [tex]x[/tex] will work either since the denominator contains [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] and substituting negative values will give you a multiple of [tex]i[/tex].
    However, if you would like to visualize the integer solutions to this equation, try graphing it using GrafEq.

4. Oct 7, 2007 #3

fsm

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?