Why can't I graph w/maple & calc

• Maple
  • Thread starter fsm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the function f(x)=\frac{(-1)^x}{x*\sqrt{x}} has a domain limited to only positive integers, as substituting non-integers or negative numbers will result in imaginary solutions. To visualize the function, you can use a graphing tool like grfEq32.exe.
fsm

Homework Statement

f(x)=[tex]\frac{(-1)^{x}}{x*\sqrt{x}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to plot this in maple and my calculator but no dice. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Imaginary Range

The problem is not with Maple or your calculator. If you analyze the function, you will notice that the domain of the function is only positive integers. If non-integers are substituted into the numerator [tex]x[/tex], a sample result would be [tex](-1)^{1/2} = \sqrt{-1} = i[/tex]. Similarly, all non-integers will produce a form of an imaginary result. [tex]0[/tex] can't be part of the domain either since [tex]\frac{(-1)^0}{0\sqrt(0)}=\frac{1}{0}[/tex], which is undefined. Finally, no negative number for [tex]x[/tex] will work either since the denominator contains [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] and substituting negative values will give you a multiple of [tex]i[/tex].
However, if you would like to visualize the integer solutions to this equation, try graphing it using ftp://ftp.peda.com/grafeq32.exe.

Thanks!

1. Why is my graph not showing up when I try to graph with Maple and Calc?

There are a few potential reasons for this issue. One possibility is that you have not entered the correct mathematical equation or function to be graphed. Another possibility is that you have not set the appropriate viewing window for your graph. Additionally, there may be an error in your Maple or Calc software that is preventing the graph from displaying. It is also important to make sure that your computer meets the system requirements for running Maple and Calc.

2. Can I use Maple and Calc to graph any type of function?

Yes, both Maple and Calc have the capability to graph a wide variety of mathematical functions, including polynomial, exponential, logarithmic, trigonometric, and many more. However, some more complex or advanced functions may require additional programming or special commands to be properly graphed.

3. How can I customize the appearance of my graph in Maple and Calc?

Both Maple and Calc have options for customizing the appearance of your graph, such as changing the color, style, and thickness of the lines, adding labels and titles, and adjusting the axes and scales. These options can usually be found under the "Plot" or "Graph" menu in the software.

4. What should I do if my graph in Maple and Calc looks distorted or incorrect?

If your graph appears distorted or incorrect, it is possible that there is an error in your mathematical equation or function. Check your input and make sure it is accurate. Another possibility is that your viewing window is not set correctly, so try adjusting the axes and scales to get a better view of your graph.

5. Is it possible to export or save my graph from Maple and Calc for use in other programs?

Yes, both Maple and Calc have options for exporting and saving your graph as an image file, such as JPEG or PNG. You can also copy and paste your graph into other programs or documents. Keep in mind that the resolution and quality of the graph may vary depending on the size and type of file you choose to export.