Why can't waves (light) be in two mediums at the same time?

In summary, when light reaches the critical angle, it is not able to pass through the medium and instead undergoes internal reflection. This is because light cannot exist in two mediums simultaneously. When light is in between two other medium particles, it creates an evanescent wave that penetrates a short distance into the lower refractive index medium. This phenomenon is further explored through surface plasmons, which you can read about on Wikipedia.
i_m_mimi
Technically the critical angle is impossible to occur, instead internal reflection occurs. This is because light can't be in two mediums at the same time. WHY?
What happens when the light particle/wave is in between two other medium particles?

Any links to help me answer this question would be helpful.

Science news on Phys.org
Andy Resnick said:
Could you be referring to surface plasmons?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_plasmon_resonance

Unfortunately, I have no idea what it is talking about. Too many big words. I'm only in the 10th grade.
I don't really understand it, but I think you're on to something.

While incident light is totally reflected the electromagnetic field component penetrates a short (tens of nanometers) distance into a medium of a lower refractive index creating an exponentially detenuating evanescent wave.

This seems like something that might help me answer the question, but I don't know what it means.

1. Why can't waves be in two mediums at the same time?

Waves are a form of energy that require a medium to travel through. This medium can be solid, liquid, or gas. When a wave encounters a boundary between two mediums, it will either be reflected, absorbed, or refracted. It cannot exist in both mediums simultaneously because it needs a physical medium to propagate.

2. What happens when a wave encounters a boundary between two mediums?

When a wave encounters a boundary between two mediums, it will either be reflected, absorbed, or refracted. Reflection occurs when the wave bounces off the boundary and remains in the same medium. Absorption occurs when the wave's energy is absorbed by the second medium. Refraction occurs when the wave changes direction as it enters the second medium.

3. Can light waves exist in two mediums at the same time?

No, light waves cannot exist in two mediums at the same time. Light is a type of electromagnetic wave, and like all waves, it requires a medium to travel through. Light can travel through air, water, and other materials, but it cannot be in two mediums simultaneously.

4. What happens when light waves encounter a boundary between two mediums?

When light waves encounter a boundary between two mediums, they will either be reflected, absorbed, or refracted. The amount of reflection, absorption, and refraction depends on the properties of the two mediums and the angle at which the light hits the boundary.

5. Can waves be in two mediums at the same time in certain situations?

In some cases, it may appear that a wave is in two mediums at the same time. For example, when light travels from air to glass, it is partially reflected and partially refracted. The refracted light travels through the glass, but some of it also travels along the surface of the glass, making it seem like the light is in two mediums at the same time. However, the light is still only in one medium at any given point in time.