Why Do I Need to Sum All the Torques Along the Radius for Calculating Torque?

In summary, the problem involves calculating torque for a uniform disc of radius R that is spun to angular velocity w and placed on a horizontal surface with friction coefficient k. The pressure exerted by the disc on the surface is uniform. The relevant equations are T=Ia and dT=RdF=Rkgdm, with dm= m/(PiR^2)Rdrdθ. However, in the solution, dT=rdF=rkgdm with dm=m/(PiR^2)rdrdθ. The mistake was found in the calculation of torque, which should take into account the contribution from each element of area.
EEristavi
Homework Statement
uniform disc of radius R is spinned to the angular velocity
w and then carefully placed on a horizontal surface. How long will
the disc be rotating on the surface if the friction coefficient is equal
to k? The pressure exerted by the disc on the surface can be regarded
as uniform.
Relevant Equations
T = Ia
Only problem I have is in calculating Torque

I say:
dT = R dF = R k g dm
&
dm = ##\frac m {\Pi R^2}## R dr d##\theta##

However, in the solution I see that:
dT = r dF = r k g dm
&
dm = ##\frac m {\Pi R^2}## r dr d##\theta##I don't get it: when taking the whole T (when I integrate), why do I have to "Sum" all the Torques along the radius

Physics news on Phys.org
EEristavi said:
Problem Statement: uniform disc of radius R is spinned to the angular velocity
w and then carefully placed on a horizontal surface. How long will
the disc be rotating on the surface if the friction coefficient is equal
to k? The pressure exerted by the disc on the surface can be regarded
as uniform.
Relevant Equations: T = Ia

Only problem I have is in calculating Torque

I say:
dT = R dF = R k g dm
&
dm = ##\frac m {\Pi R^2}## R dr d##\theta##

However, in the solution I see that:
dT = r dF = r k g dm
&
dm = ##\frac m {\Pi R^2}## r dr d##\theta##I don't get it: when taking the whole T (when I integrate), why do I have to "Sum" all the Torques along the radius
It is not clear exactly what your variables mean. E.g. dT is the contribution to torque from what element?

Consider an element of area r dr dθ. The normal force is ρgr dr dθ, the frictional force kρgr dr dθ, and this acts tangentially. The torque it exerts about the centre is kρgr2 dr dθ.

• Informative
Likes EEristavi
Found the mistake in my point of view - Thanks

1. Why is it important to sum all the torques along the radius for calculating torque?

Summing all the torques along the radius is important because it allows us to take into account the distribution of force and distance from the center of rotation. This is necessary for accurately calculating the net torque acting on an object.

2. Can't we just use the magnitude of the force and the distance from the center of rotation to calculate torque?

No, simply using the magnitude of the force and the distance from the center of rotation will only give us the magnitude of the torque. In order to find the net torque, we need to consider the direction in which the forces are acting, which can only be determined by summing all the torques along the radius.

3. What happens if we don't sum all the torques along the radius?

If we don't sum all the torques along the radius, we will not have an accurate representation of the net torque acting on the object. This can lead to incorrect calculations and predictions about the object's rotational motion.

4. Are there any exceptions to summing all the torques along the radius?

There are some cases where we may not need to sum all the torques along the radius, such as when the forces are all acting along the same line. In these cases, we can simply use the cross product of the force and distance to calculate the torque without summing.

5. How does summing all the torques along the radius relate to the principle of moments?

Summing all the torques along the radius is a key step in applying the principle of moments, which states that the sum of all the torques acting on an object must be equal to the net torque acting on the object. By summing all the torques along the radius, we can determine the net torque and determine if the object will rotate or remain in equilibrium.