Why do we ignore the contribution to a surface integral from the point r=0?

In summary: It (the surface integral) makes the potential ## \psi=\psi(\vec{r}) ## a well-behaved function of ## \vec{r} ##. To get the ## \vec{H} ## you take the minus gradient of ## \psi ##, but you don't operate the gradient on the "primed" coordinates over which the integration is being performed.
Mike400 said:
I know that electric field of an infinite sheet of charge in ##x##-##y## plane is ## \vec{E}=\frac{\sigma}{2 \epsilon_0} (\hat{k})##. From this fact, how can we conclude that electric field very close to the surface point of a ##\sigma## distribution is approximately ## \vec{E}=\frac{\sigma}{2 \epsilon_0} (\hat{n}) ## where ##\hat{n}## is normal to surface point.
I think I have got the answer. Please check its validity.

Consider a ##\sigma## distribution and a point ##P## infinitely close to it. Then:

##\displaystyle\mathbf{H}(P)_1=\int_{S'} \dfrac{\sigma}{r^2}(\hat{\mathbf{r}})\ dS'##

Now increase the linear dimensions of the system infinitely. Then:

##\displaystyle\mathbf{H}(P)_{\infty}=\lim\limits_{n \to \infty} \int_{S'} \dfrac{\sigma}{(nr)^2} \left( \dfrac{n\mathbf{r}}{nr} \right) n^2 dS'
=\int_{S'} \dfrac{\sigma}{r^2}(\hat{\mathbf{r}})\ dS'=\mathbf{H}(P)_1##

Now after the increment, ##\sigma## distribution is an infinite sheet near point ##P##. Point ##P## is also at a finite distance from ##\sigma## distribution (infinite sheet). Therefore:

##\mathbf{H}(P)_1=\mathbf{H}(P)_{\infty}=\dfrac{\sigma}{2 \epsilon_0} (\hat{\mathbf{n}})##

Physics news on Phys.org
Mike400 said:
I think I have got the answer. Please check its validity.

Consider a σσ distribution and a point PP infinitely close to it. Then:

H(P)1=∫S′σr2(^r) dS′H(P)1=∫S′σr2(r^) dS′

Now increase the linear dimensions of the system infinitely. Then:

##\displaystyle\mathbf{H}(P)_{\infty}=\lim\limits_{n \to \infty} \int_{S'} \dfrac{\sigma}{(nr)^2} \left( \dfrac{n\mathbf{r}}{nr} \right) n^2 dS'
=\int_{S'} \dfrac{\sigma}{r^2}(\hat{\mathbf{r}})\ dS'=\mathbf{H}(P)_1##

Now after the increment, σσ distribution is an infinite sheet near point PP. Point PP is also at a finite distance from σσ distribution (infinite sheet). Therefore:

H(P)1=H(P)∞=σ2ϵ0(^n)H(P)1=H(P)∞=σ2ϵ0(n^)
The equation actually reads ## \vec{H}(\vec{r})=\int \frac{\sigma_m (\vec{r}')}{4 \pi \mu_o r^3} (\vec{r}-\vec{r}') dS' ## where ## r=|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'| ##.
I'm defining ## \vec{M} ## so that ## \vec{B}=\mu_o \vec{H}+\vec{M} ##. ## \\ ## ## \vec{H}=\frac{\sigma_m}{2 \mu_o} ##.

Last edited:
Now is there a similar way to show that ##\displaystyle\psi=\int_{S'} \dfrac{\sigma}{r} dS'## does not blow up near the surface?

The easiest way I know of is that ## \psi=\pm \int H \cdot dr ##. At ##r=0 ##, the ## H ## field remains finite. Like ## E ## it is conservative, (when there are no currents in conductors) and ## \nabla \times H=0 ##. Thereby, the equation ## \psi=\int H \cdot dr ## can be used.

Likes Mike400
Charles Link said:
The easiest way I know of is that ## \psi=\pm \int H \cdot dr ##. At ##r=0 ##, the ## H ## field remains finite. Like ## E ## it is conservative, (when there are no currents in conductors) and ## \nabla \times H=0 ##. Thereby, the equation ## \psi=\int H \cdot dr ## can be used.
That is what I thought too.

Likes Charles Link
Is there a way to show:

##(1)\displaystyle\int_{S'} \dfrac{\sigma}{r} dS'## is continuous all over space

##(2)\displaystyle\int_{S'} \dfrac{\sigma}{r^2}\ \hat{\mathbf{r}}\ dS'## is continuous everywhere except at ##S'##

Mike400 said:
Is there a way to show:

##(1)\displaystyle\int_{S'} \dfrac{\sigma}{r} dS'## is continuous all over space

##(2)\displaystyle\int_{S'} \dfrac{\sigma}{r^2}\ \hat{\mathbf{r}}\ dS'## is continuous everywhere except at ##S'##
By Gauss' law, ##E_{1 \, ||}-E_{2 \, ||}=\frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_o} ##. and similarly for ## H ##. (parallel to ## \hat{n} ##). Meanwhile, the perpendicular ## E_1 ## and ## E_2 ## are equal. (parallel to the surface).

Charles Link said:
By Gauss' law, ##E_{1 \, ||}-E_{2 \, ||}=\frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_o} ##. and similarly for ## H ##. (parallel to ## \hat{n} ##). Meanwhile, the perpendicular ## E_1 ## and ## E_2 ## are equal. (parallel to the surface).
How shall we show field is continuous at other points?