Why do we use a sinusoidal voltage source instead of other waveforms?

• Thread starter Essadaoui_Red
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary, the use of a sinusoidal voltage source is preferred over other wave shapes such as square or saw waves due to various advantages. These include the natural production of sine waves by alternators, the effectiveness of sine waves in transforming between different voltage levels using transformers, the superiority of AC motors over DC motors, and the avoidance of unwanted effects caused by harmonics when using other wave shapes. Additionally, the use of sine waves in power inverters results in lower efficiency and unwanted effects, making them less desirable.
Essadaoui_Red
hello,
why we use a sinusoidal voltage source and no others (square, saw waves ...)? :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
For instance, because of harmonics higher of the fundamental present in sharp waves: this declines effectiveness of powered equipment, increases audio and electrical noise, and introduces huge problems of electromagnetic compatibility.

Because that's what gets naturally produced by alternators.
Also, because that's the best wave to have it transformed between different voltage levels using transformers.
Also, because that's the best wave for AC motors, which are superior than DC motors.

I_am_learning said:
Also, because that's the best wave to have it transformed between different voltage levels using transformers.
:confused:
i need more explanation !

Other wave shapes are used where appropriate.
Transformers, capacitors and inductors produce effects that depend on 'rate of change' and sine waves produce cos waves in these cases... the 'shape' of the wave remains the same.

As 'I am learning' pointed out, sine waves are just what you get when you generate electricity via some mechanical means. You could convert them into square waves or triangle waves afterward, but sine waves are what you start out with when you spin an electric motor (generator) using steam or wind or water or whatever to get electricity. A sine wave is just a mathematical description of any smoothly repeating oscillation with respect to time.

Essadaoui_Red said:
:confused:
i need more explanation !
For detailed explanation you need to study about the working of Transformers. But to put it shortly, as technician pointed out, if you put in sinusoidal wave into transformer, you get sinusoidal wave out. It won't happen for other cases. So, if you need to keep on transforming voltage levels using transformers, and if you need to preserve your wave shape (if you don't want to, then why would you desire for particular wave shape anyway? ), then your best option is to use sinusoidal waves.
Also, I am in the thought that Transformers would have minimal loss when using sinusoidal waves (because higher order harmonics in other wave shapes will create huge hysteresis and eddy losses? ), and ditto for other electromagnetic machines.

thank you all,

after your explanations, i tried to summarize the advantages of sine as follows:

- At power generation, the sine shape is naturally generated by alternative motor (synchronous),that more advantageous than DC Motor,

- in transmission: sine is the most appropriate to vary by a transformer and with less waste and harmony,

- Distribution: the sine signal are avoided during an abrupt voltage variation (this is not the case for other forms: square ...).

is that it's just my abstract ??

Essadaoui_Red said:
thank you all,

after your explanations, i tried to summarize the advantages of sine as follows:

- At power generation, the sine shape is naturally generated by alternative motor (synchronous),that more advantageous than DC Motor,

- in transmission: sine is the most appropriate to vary by a transformer and with less waste and harmony,

- Distribution: the sine signal are avoided during an abrupt voltage variation (this is not the case for other forms: square ...).

is that it's just my abstract ??

Pretty close.

Like said...a generator naturally makes a sin wave...and a motor naturally excepts a sin wave. So...certainly convenient.

Transformers love ths sin wave...and being able to raise or lower voltage saves millions and millions of dollars during distribution.

Those two right there are HUGE.

As a side note. Most power inverters, that is the device that converts 12VDC to 120VAC, in your car do NOT produce a sine wave. That is why some devices have troubles with them.

Integral said:
As a side note. Most power inverters, that is the device that converts 12VDC to 120VAC, in your car do NOT produce a sine wave. That is why some devices have troubles with them.

That may be true...but keep in mind that the alternator in your car produces AC...then goes thru a full wave rectifier to produce DC...the juice your battery and car devices run off of.

But if you are saying an inverter does not make a perfect wave from DC to AC...I certainly agree...whether it's a car or not.

By using square waveforms over a reactive load (i.e. transformer, RC networks and so on) there are a lot of unwanted effects related to its harmonics, as shown by an analysis of the development of Fourier of such signals, then eddy currents, high extra voltages, lower efficiency. For these reasons all high-quality DC/AC converters have quite robust integrators at their outputs to minimize all signals other than the sine wave, the pure signal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Why do we use a sinusoidal voltage source instead of other waveforms?

1. What is alternative current (AC) sinus?

Alternative current sinus is a type of electrical current that flows in a sinusoidal pattern, meaning it moves back and forth in a smooth, continuous motion. It is the most commonly used type of electricity in homes and buildings.

2. How is alternative current sinus different from direct current (DC)?

The main difference between AC and DC is the direction in which the electricity flows. While AC moves in a back and forth motion, DC only flows in one direction. AC is also able to be transmitted over long distances, while DC is better suited for short distances.

3. What are the advantages of using alternative current sinus?

One of the main advantages of AC is its ability to be easily transformed into different voltage levels, making it more versatile for different applications. Additionally, AC is able to be transmitted over long distances without significant loss of energy.

4. How is alternative current sinus generated?

AC is generated through power plants, where mechanical energy is used to rotate a turbine, which then turns a generator. The generator converts this mechanical energy into electrical energy in the form of AC.

5. What are some common uses of alternative current sinus?

AC is used for a variety of purposes, including powering homes and buildings, running appliances and electronics, and even charging electric vehicles. It is also used in industrial applications such as manufacturing and transportation systems.