Why do you get the area of a whole circle when you integrate

In summary, the conversation revolves around the question "Why does Acircle = ∫√(a2-x2)dx?" The discussion explores the use of trigonometric substitution and the integral of the negative formula for a semicircle in order to find the area of a circle. However, it is determined that the equation cannot be satisfied unless x is allowed to be complex and that the range and domain of the arcsin function must be taken into consideration. It is also noted that treating the area under a curve as an indefinite integral may lead to incorrect results.
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

Okay, I don't actually have a homework problem that explicitly tells me to find the reason why; it's just something I was wondering while I was trying to integrate circles using trigonometric substitution. But just for reference's sake: "Why does Acircle = ∫√(a2-x2)dx?" Additionally, when I try to take the integral of the negative formula for a semicircle, it ends up with a negative area; it's as if the circle is below the x-axis.

Homework Equations

##x^2+y^2=a^2##
##a=radius##
##y=±\sqrt{a^2-x^2}##

The Attempt at a Solution

##f(x)=∫\sqrt{a^2-x^2}dx##
##x=asinθ##
##dx=acosθdθ##
##θ=arcsin(\frac{x}{a})##
##f(θ)=∫\sqrt{a^2-a^2sin^2θ}⋅acosθdθ=∫\sqrt{a^2cos^2θ}⋅acosθdθ=a^2∫cosθ⋅cosθdθ##
##f(θ)=\frac{1}{2}a^2∫(1+cos2θ)dθ=\frac{1}{2}a^2(θ+\frac{1}{2}sin2θ)##
##f(θ)=\frac{1}{2}a^2(θ+sinθ⋅cosθ)##
##f(x)=\frac{1}{2}a^2(arcsin(\frac{x}{a})+(\frac{x}{a})(\frac{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}{a}))##

Now how do I equate...

##πa^2=\frac{1}{2}a^2(arcsin(\frac{x}{a})+(\frac{x}{a})(\frac{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}{a}))##

If I do some manipulation, I apparently get the the circumference of a circle.

##2πa=a(arcsin(\frac{x}{a})+(\frac{x}{a})(\frac{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}{a}))##

I tried doing this with real numbers earlier, which is why I'm asking this question.

##f(x)=∫\sqrt{16-x^2}dx##
##x=4sinθ##
##dx=4cosθdθ##
##θ=arcsin(\frac{x}{4})##
##f(θ)=16∫cos^2θdθ=8∫(1+cos2θ)dθ=8θ+8sinθ⋅cosθ##
##f(x)=(8arcsin(\frac{x}{4})+\frac{1}{2}x\sqrt{16-x^2})## on the interval (-4,4)
##f(4)=4π##
##f(-4)=12π##
##f(4)+f(-4)=16π##

Which is clearly the area of a circle with a radius of 4. So I integrated a semicircle and got the area of a circle. What gives?

Physics news on Phys.org
Eclair_de_XII said:
##
f(x)=∫\sqrt{a^2-x^2}dx##
You should specify the integral limits if you want to calculate the area of your circle.
Eclair_de_XII said:
##
πa^2=\frac{1}{2}a^2(arcsin(\frac{x}{a})+(\frac{x}{a})(\frac{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}{a}))##
No, it cannot be satisfied unless ##x## is allowed to be complex.

blue_leaf77 said:
You should specify the integral limits if you want to calculate the area of your circle.

I don't know how to add the limits onto the integrals on here. Anyway, though, the limits are (-a,a).

blue_leaf77 said:
No, it cannot be satisfied unless ##x## is allowed to be complex.

I don't understand. Where did you get that x was larger than a?

Eclair_de_XII said:
Why does Acircle = ∫√(a2-x2)dx?
No, that's not true either. If you calculate the right hand side, you will get a half of the full area at most. If you want to calculate the full area, you should sum the areas under both ##+\sqrt{a^2-x^2}## and ##-\sqrt{a^2-x^2}##. Alterntively, you can work in the polar coordinates where only one integral is involved.

Did you read the latter half of my post; the one with actual numbers?

Eclair_de_XII said:
I don't know how to add the limits onto the integrals on here.
What do you usually call for ##a## and ##b## in a definite integral ##\int_a^b f(x) dx##?
Eclair_de_XII said:
I don't understand. Where did you get that x was larger than a?
It means, that equation cannot be satisfied by a real number ##x##. In regard with the present discussion, simply put, it cannot satisfied by any ##x## within the range where the function
$$\frac{1}{2}a^2(arcsin(\frac{x}{a})+(\frac{x}{a})(\frac{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}{a}))$$
is defined.

blue_leaf77 said:
In regard with the present discussion, simply put, it cannot satisfied by any xx within the range where the function

##\frac{1}{2}a^2(arcsin(\frac{x}{a})+(\frac{x}{a})(\frac{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}{a}))##

is defined.

How do you figure? Why?

Eclair_de_XII said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

So... ##\int_b^a \sqrt{a^2-x^2}##? Where ##b=-a##?
Yes, but again, that will give you the area of a semicircle. The full area is then just the twice of it.
Eclair_de_XII said:
How do you figure? Why?
Try to plot it using whatever function plotter you want for a given value of ##a## and see if the curve can reach ##\pi a^2##.

tiYdGoM.png

Huh. You're right. I wonder what I did wrong.

According to that site, its range is ##(-\frac{π}{4},\frac{π}{4})##, and its domain is ##(-1,1)##.

So does this mean that my bottom-most calculation is also wrong?

Eclair_de_XII said:
According to that site, its range is ##(-\frac{π}{4},\frac{π}{4})##, and its domain is ##(-1,1)##.
The range depends on the chosen value for ##a##.
Eclair_de_XII said:
So does this mean that my bottom-most calculation is also wrong?
There, I see you define ##\arcsin (-1)=3\pi/2##, and the site defines ##\arcsin (-1)=-\pi/2##, it's just a matter of definition. But the point of your mistake is that you treat the area under a curve as an indefinite integral.

Oh, now I see it. I went beyond the range of the arcsin function, which is why I got the area of a full circle... somehow. But if I put it within its proper range, would it not just be zero?

And when I tried to equate the area of a circle, and the integral of a semicircle, it was only natural that I failed, because they're not the same.

blue_leaf77 said:
But the point of your mistake is that you treat the area under a curve as an indefinite integral.

I originally wanted it as ##(-a,a)##. I see now that I neglected to switch it perhaps, with the previous definition: ##θ=arcsin(\frac{x}{a})##?

Nobody post any hints; I think I got it.

In the next post...

Eclair_de_XII said:
But if I put it within its proper range, would it not just be zero?
When you define an indefinite integral ##F(x) = \int f(x) dx##, then a definite integral ##I## calculated between the range ##[-a,a]## will be ##I=F(a)-F(-a)##. They will obviously not cancel to zero in the case of ##F(-a)=-F(a)## like the one you considered.
Eclair_de_XII said:
And when I tried to equate the area of a circle, and the integral of a semicircle, it was only natural that I failed, because they're not the same.
Yes, that's the point.

I can't figure out how to post negatives in the integral, so I'll just have capital "A" be the variable for "-4", and "B" for "-π/2".

##\int_A^4\sqrt{16-x^2}dθ##
##x=4sinθ##
##dx=4cosθdθ##
##θ=arcsin(\frac{1}{4}x)##
##⋅4→\frac{π}{2}##
##⋅-4→-\frac{π}{2}##

##\int_B^\frac{π}{2}\sqrt{16-16sinθ}4cosθdθ=16\int_B^\frac{π}{2}cos^2θdθ##
##8\int_B^\frac{π}{2}(1+cos2θ)dθ=(8θ+4sin2θ)|_B^\frac{π}{2}=(8θ+8sinθcosθ)|_B^\frac{π}{2}##
##(8θ+8sinθcosθ)|_B^\frac{π}{2}=(4π-(-4π))=8π##

And then just add that to the integral of the other semicircle.

Where ##b=-a##,

##\frac{1}{2}a^2(arcsin(\frac{x}{a})+(\frac{x}{a})(\frac{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}{a}))|_b^a=\frac{1}{2}a^2(arcsin(\frac{a}{a})+(\frac{a}{a})(\frac{\sqrt{a^2-a^2}}{a}))-\frac{1}{2}(-a)^2(arcsin(\frac{-a}{a})+(\frac{-a}{a})(\frac{\sqrt{a^2-(-a)^2}}{-a}))##
##\frac{1}{2}a^2(\frac{π}{2}-\frac{1}{2}a^2(\frac{-π}{2}))=\frac{1}{2}a^2(\frac{π}{2}+\frac{π}{2})##

Now you have one side of the semicircle; just add it to the integral of the other side with the same limits, and one should end up with ##πa^2##. Thank you very much, blue, for your patience.

Eclair_de_XII said:
I can't figure out how to post negatives in the integral, so I'll just have capital "A" be the variable for "-4", and "B" for "-π/2".

##\int_{-4}^4\sqrt{16-x^2}dθ##
Put the -4 between curly brackets. The LaTeX expression is: \int_{-4}^4\sqrt{16-x^2}dθ

Thanks!

Eclair_de_XII said:
I can't figure out how to post negatives in the integral,
Code:
\int_{-a}^a
Eclair_de_XII said:
And then just add that to the integral of the other semicircle.
There is a tricky part here, as you have noticed in the first post, the integral of the negative semicircle yields a negative value. If you bluntly add the areas of the two semicircles together you will get zero.
A more neat way to calculate the area of a full circle is by using polar coordinate.

I haven't gotten to polar coordinates yet. Thanks for suggesting it, though.

I feel more satisfied that I was able to derive the area formula for a circle by integration, anyway.

What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process where the area under a curve is calculated by summing up an infinite number of infinitesimally small rectangles.

Why do we integrate?

Integration is used to solve problems related to finding the area, volume, and other physical quantities in mathematics and science. It is also used to calculate the change of a quantity over time and to solve differential equations.

Why do you get the area of a whole circle when you integrate?

When you integrate a function, you are essentially summing up the areas of infinitesimally small rectangles under the curve. As the number of rectangles approaches infinity, the sum of the areas becomes equal to the area under the curve. In the case of a circle, the function used for integration is the equation of a circle, which results in the sum of the areas of the rectangles being equal to the area of the whole circle.

How is integration related to the circumference of a circle?

The circumference of a circle is related to its radius by the formula C = 2πr. By integrating this formula, we can calculate the area of a circle using the radius as the variable of integration. This results in the integral of 2πr, which is equal to the area of the circle.

What is the significance of integrating a circle?

Integrating a circle allows us to calculate its area, which is important in various fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics. It also helps to understand the relationship between the circumference and the area of a circle, and how they are related through integration.