Why Does My Friction Coefficient Calculation Differ from My Teacher's Answer?

In summary, the problem involves three blocks with masses 10kg, 5kg, and 3.090kg connected by strings passing over frictionless pulleys. The 5kg block has an acceleration of 2m/s^2 to the left and the surfaces are rough. The task is to find the tensions in each string and the coefficient of friction between the blocks and surfaces assuming it is the same for both blocks. The equations used are F=ma and T1-T2=m2*a and T2-T3=m3*a. The attempt at a solution resulted in a friction coefficient of 0.1, which differs from the given answer of 0.66. The person is seeking help in finding the error in
Maiia

Homework Statement

Three blocks of masses 10kg, 5kg, and 3.090 kg are connected by light strings that pass over frictionless pulleys as shown. The acceleration of the 5kg block is 2m/s^2 to the left, and the surfaces are rough. Find the tensions in each string and the coefficient of friction btw the blocks and the surfaces assuming it is the same for both blocks.

Here is my picture and equations. I assumed that the acceleration would be 2 m/s^2 for all three blocks.

problem1.jpg

The issue I have is that no matter how many times I try the problem, I end up with a different friction coefficient than the answer my teacher gave me of 0.66. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations F=maT1-T2= m2*aT2-T3=m3*aThe Attempt at a Solution T1=10(2) =20NT2=5(2)-20=0NT3=3.090(2)=-6.18NFriction= (T1-T2)/(m1*a)Friction= (20-0)/(10*2)Friction= 2/20Friction= 0.1

I would first commend the student for their efforts in attempting to solve the problem. It is important to note that different approaches and methods may yield different results, and it is important to carefully check all assumptions and calculations to ensure accuracy.

One possible explanation for the discrepancy in the calculated friction coefficient could be a mistake in the equations or calculations. I would suggest double-checking the equations and units used, and also considering any simplifications or assumptions made in the problem.

Another possibility could be experimental error or variations in the setup of the problem. In a real-world scenario, there may be slight differences in the surfaces or pulleys used, which could affect the friction coefficient. It is important to keep this in mind and understand that calculated values may not always match real-world values exactly.

In conclusion, it is important to carefully review and check all assumptions and calculations, and to consider any potential sources of error when solving problems in physics.

Related to Why Does My Friction Coefficient Calculation Differ from My Teacher's Answer?

1. What are the forces acting on the 3 blocks on an incline?

The forces acting on the 3 blocks on an incline are the force of gravity, normal force, and frictional force.

2. How does the angle of the incline affect the forces on the 3 blocks?

The angle of the incline affects the forces on the 3 blocks by changing the components of the forces. As the angle increases, the force of gravity and the normal force will have larger components along the incline, while the frictional force will have a smaller component.

3. What is the relationship between the weight of the blocks and the force of gravity?

The weight of the blocks is directly proportional to the force of gravity. This means that as the weight of the blocks increases, the force of gravity acting on them also increases.

4. Can the blocks on an incline be in equilibrium?

Yes, it is possible for the blocks on an incline to be in equilibrium. In this case, the forces acting on the blocks will be balanced and there will be no net force causing them to move.

5. How does the frictional force affect the motion of the blocks on an incline?

The frictional force acts in the opposite direction of motion and can either slow down or stop the blocks from moving. If the frictional force is greater than the force of gravity, the blocks will not be able to move down the incline. If the frictional force is smaller than the force of gravity, the blocks will accelerate down the incline.