Why does oxygen in bleach react with other substances?

• Thread starter aclark609
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oxidation
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of bleach (NaClO) and why oxygen leaves the molecule to react with other substances. It is noted that oxygen is responsible for bleach's ability to kill bacteria and oxidize chemicals. The question is raised about why oxygen would leave the molecule when it is bonded to chlorine, a highly electronegative element. It is suggested that energy may play a role in this process. The conversation then shifts to the smell of bleach and how it is a result of the decomposition of ClO- into elemental oxygen and chlorine. It is also mentioned that chlorine can react with reducing agents to produce Cl-. The conversation ends with the clarification that this is considered kinetics and the listener's struggle with understanding practical applications of
aclark609
In the case of bleach (NaClO), why does the oxygen leave this molecule to react with other things? I understand that bleach leaves a NaCl residue and that the oxygen portion of bleach is responsible for its ability to kill bacteria and oxidize various other chemicals. I only ask this due to the fact that oxygen is bonded to chlorine in this instance where chlorine is quite electronegative. Wouldn't it be more attracted to the chlorine? Or is this an energy scenario where oxygen leaves to achieve a lower energy maybe? I guess I'm missing the big picture. Anyone care to enlighten me on this subject?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It is not as simple as oxygen leaving the molecule - even if the final product is NaCl, there are many possible pathways that lead there. Have you ever smelled the bleach? What does it smell of?

True. It does smell of chlorine. Let me get this straight. In the bleach bottle (an aqueous solution), NaClO dissociates into Na+ and ClO-, and some of the ClO- gets broken down into Cl- and O2-? But how? Considering both Cl- and O2- are very reactive, the both could create diatomic molecules, Cl2 and O2, or perhaps Cl- could run into a Na+ as the water is evaporating and make NaCl. Perhaps it's just how the molecules collide in the solution maybe? Is this considered kinetics? Am I on the right track or way off?

Sorry if this gives anyone a headache, I've taken College Chem I and got an A even, but I've found it just didn't explain a lot to me as far as understanding a lot of "practical" applications.

Reacting with water ClO- can decompose into elemental oxygen and chlorine. Chlorine can react with any reducing agent present, producing Cl- - no need for ClO- producing Cl- directly.

Okay. Thank you Borek.

Related to Why does oxygen in bleach react with other substances?

1. What is oxidation?

Oxidation is a chemical process in which a substance loses electrons to another substance. It often involves the reaction of a substance with oxygen, but can also occur with other elements or compounds.

2. How does oxidation occur?

Oxidation occurs when a substance is exposed to an oxidizing agent, such as oxygen, halogens, or certain chemicals. The oxidizing agent will remove electrons from the substance, resulting in oxidation.

3. What is the difference between oxidation and reduction?

Oxidation and reduction are two opposite chemical processes that occur simultaneously. Oxidation is the loss of electrons, while reduction is the gain of electrons. In a redox reaction, one substance is oxidized while the other is reduced.

4. What are some examples of oxidation?

Rust formation on iron, the browning of apples, and the burning of wood are all examples of oxidation. In these processes, oxygen is reacting with the substances and causing them to lose electrons.

5. How does oxidation affect everyday life?

Oxidation plays a major role in everyday life, from the rusting of metal objects to the digestion of food in our bodies. It is also used in various industries, such as in the production of batteries, cleaning agents, and food preservation.