Why does PPG (photoplethysmography) Use Infrared and Green Both Light

In summary: That was super helpful!In summary, the FitBit uses both Green and IR LED's in order to improve accuracy in low temperatures.
jaus tail
Hi Everyone,
I'm doing research in Implanted Devices in Human Body (Sensors, Hearing Aid, Pacemaker) for my college course.

I've started with FitBit that uses the PPG Principle. But I'm struggling to understand why the FitBit uses both Green and IR LED whereas the sensor at the receiving end is only for IR.

All the theory I read suggested that there is a Green (or Red) LED and an IR Sensor. So if there is an IR Sensor, why not use only an IR LED instead of Green (or Red) plus IR LED.

Any insight would be grateful...

Science news on Phys.org
Looks like using both improves accuracy, especially at low temperatures...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19163152

upload_2019-1-16_11-57-41.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-16_11-57-41.png
    upload_2019-1-16_11-57-41.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 775
Likes jaus tail
Thanks for the quick n great reply n link. Very helpful.
Not sure hoemw to ask but can you please tell me what did you type in Google to get that paper?

jaus tail said:
Thanks for the quick n great reply n link. Very helpful.
Not sure hoemw to ask but can you please tell me what did you type in Google to get that paper?
Happy to. I didn't get directly to it on my first try. First Google search was to find out what "PPG" stood for in your title (I then added the parenthetical bit to help others know what it was). I clicked into a few articles about PPG to see if they talked about the different wavelengths of light, but none seemed to. There were a couple good papers comparing EKG and PPG for accuracy and information content, but I couldn't find anything on the two light modalities.

So I got frustrated and tried a more directed search, in case I got lucky with some hits. I searched: PPG IR versus Green Light, and the link above was the 1st hit on the hit list. I prefer to use references to the NIH website when I can, and clicking into the abstract seemed to be a pretty good match for what you were looking for. Sometimes we get lucky! :smile:

https://www.google.com/search?q=PPG+IR+versus+Green+Light&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

Likes jaus tail
Thanks again.

Likes berkeman

1. Why does PPG use both infrared and green light?

PPG uses both infrared and green light because they have different absorption properties in the body. Green light is mostly absorbed by oxygenated blood, while infrared light is mostly absorbed by deoxygenated blood. By using both wavelengths, PPG can measure changes in blood volume and oxygen saturation levels.

2. How does PPG use infrared and green light to measure blood flow?

PPG uses a light emitter and a detector to measure the amount of light that is absorbed by the tissue. When the heart pumps, blood flow increases, causing more light to be absorbed. This change in light absorption is then converted into a waveform that represents the pulsatile blood flow.

3. Can PPG measure blood flow accurately with just one wavelength of light?

No, PPG requires both infrared and green light to accurately measure blood flow. Using only one wavelength would not provide enough information about the oxygenation and volume changes in the blood.

4. Are there any other benefits to using both infrared and green light in PPG?

Yes, using both wavelengths can also help to reduce interference from external light sources. Infrared light is less affected by ambient light, while green light is more sensitive to changes in ambient light. By combining the two, PPG can improve its accuracy and reliability.

5. What are some potential applications of PPG that utilize both infrared and green light?

PPG has a wide range of applications, including measuring heart rate, blood oxygen saturation, and blood pressure. It is also used in fitness trackers, sleep monitors, and medical devices for monitoring patients. By using both infrared and green light, PPG can provide valuable information for these applications.