Why does sunlight reflect off surfaces in many different directions?

• Thread starter lotsoluv4ya
  • Start date
In summary, Chris and Pat were observing that the sunlight hitting their blanket was reflecting in many different directions. They hypothesized that this was because the surface had small bumps and valleys. B and C are partly right, but I would vote for A. For B, yes, of course, light doesn't necessarily come from the sun, but MOST OF IT DOES. For C, u'd have to read Richard P.Feynman's book "QED:A Strange Theory of Light and Matter"...But in the simple context of classical physics, "A" is the correct answer.
lotsoluv4ya
Chris and Pat are enjoying a sunny day by a small lake. As they watch the sunlight hit the water, rocks, and other objects, they start talking about what they have learned about light, sound and waves in science class.
Chris and Pat observe that the sunlight hitting their blanket is reflecting in many different directions. Which statement best explains their observation?

A. Light reflects off in all directions because the surface has very small bumps and valleys

B. The light must be coming from many directions for the light to reflect off in many directions

C. The smoothness or roughness of the surface makes no difference; light always reflects in many directions

Physics news on Phys.org
lotsoluv4ya said:
A. Light reflects off in all directions because the surface has very small bumps and valleys

B. The light must be coming from many directions for the light to reflect off in many directions

C. The smoothness or roughness of the surface makes no difference; light always reflects in many directions
You can use the process of elimination here. It cannot be B because the light reflecting off other surfaces is a tiny fraction of that coming directly from the sun. So the dominant source of light is the sun which all comes from one direction. It cannot be C because we know that light reflection depends on the surface. A smooth surface reflects light in the same way. So the answer must be A, which makes sense: light reflects at the same angle that the incident light makes to a line tangent to the reflecting surface.

AM

"B" and "C" are partly right,but i'd vote for "A".For "B",yes,of course,light doesn't necessarily come from the sun,but MOST OF IT DOES...
As for "C",u'd have to read Richard P.Feynman's book "QED:A Strange Theory of Light and Matter"...But in the simple context of classical physics,"A" is rhe correct answer.

Daniel.

Related to Why does sunlight reflect off surfaces in many different directions?

What does the phrase "I know this is probably a really dumb question, but I still don't get it. Don't laugh" mean?

The phrase "I know this is probably a really dumb question, but I still don't get it. Don't laugh" is often used as a disclaimer by someone who is unsure about something and fears being judged for asking a question that may seem obvious or simple to others.

Why do people feel the need to use this phrase?

People may feel the need to use this phrase because they are afraid of being judged or ridiculed for asking a question that may seem obvious or simple. It is a way to protect oneself from potential embarrassment.

Is it okay to use this phrase when asking a question?

While it is understandable to feel insecure about asking a question, it is not necessary to use this phrase. You should never feel ashamed or embarrassed for seeking clarification or further understanding about a topic.

How should others respond when someone uses this phrase?

Others should respond with kindness and understanding. It is important to create a safe and welcoming environment for questions to be asked and answered, regardless of how "obvious" or "dumb" they may seem.

How can we encourage people to ask questions without feeling the need to use this phrase?

As a scientist, it is important to create an open and non-judgmental environment for questions to be asked and answered. Encouraging curiosity and emphasizing that there are no "dumb" questions can help alleviate the need for people to use this phrase. It is also important to actively listen and provide patient and thorough explanations to questions, no matter how simple they may seem.