Why Does the Matrix Element <2 0 0|z|2 1 0> Equal -3a0 in Hydrogen?

In summary, the matrix element <2 0 0|z|2 1 0> = -3a0 corresponds to the wave function having a negative z component. This means that when an electric field is applied to a hydrogen atom in its first excited state, the atom's energy is linear in the field strength.
Robsta

Homework Statement

Show that for hydrogen the matrix element <2 0 0|z|2 1 0> = -3a0 where a0 is the Bohr Radius.

On account of the non-zero value of this matrix element, when an electric field is applied to a hydrogen
atom in its first excited state, the atom's energy is linear in the field strength.

Homework Equations

Energy of electron: -ħ2/2a02μn2

The Attempt at a Solution

<2 0 0| and |2 1 0> are bra and ket states of Hydrogen |n l m> where n is the principle quantum number, l is the orbital number and m is the magnetic number. I think I'm just struggling to work out what the operator z does (does it just point out the z coordinate of the electron?) Any advice on how I can approach this, specifically what matrix is being referred to, would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
the "z" between the bra and the ket is the z function , which is anti-symmetric along the z coordinate.
It is needed so that the L=1 ket state, after multiplied by z, has non-zero overlap with the (symmetric) L-0 bra state.
(so that, any operator that is non-symmetric in z (I wonder what that might be?) might initiate a transition).

I'm not really sure what operator would be non-symmetric in z since the hydrogen atom is spherically symmetrical?

And I'm still not really sure what matrix is being referred to in the question

Robsta said:
I'm not really sure what operator would be non-symmetric in z since the hydrogen atom is spherically symmetrical?
Read the second part of the question.

Robsta said:
And I'm still not really sure what matrix is being referred to in the question
When you have a basis of states ##|\phi_i\rangle##, you can construct a matrix representation of any operator ##\hat{A}##, where the elements are
$$
A_ij = \langle \phi_i | \hat{A} | \phi_j \rangle
$$
This is why these bracket "sandwiches" are often referred to as matrix elements. Note that the wave function can then be written as a vector.

Related to Why Does the Matrix Element <2 0 0|z|2 1 0> Equal -3a0 in Hydrogen?

What is the gross structure of hydrogen?

The gross structure of hydrogen refers to the arrangement of its subatomic particles. Hydrogen has one proton in its nucleus and one electron orbiting around it, making it the simplest and lightest element in the periodic table.

How does the gross structure of hydrogen affect its properties?

The gross structure of hydrogen gives it some unique properties. It has a low boiling point and is highly flammable, making it useful as a fuel source. It also has a high reactivity, allowing it to easily combine with other elements to form compounds.

Can the gross structure of hydrogen be changed?

The gross structure of hydrogen cannot be changed without altering its fundamental atomic properties. However, it can form different isotopes by gaining or losing neutrons, which changes its atomic mass but not its gross structure.

What is the role of the gross structure of hydrogen in the formation of stars?

The gross structure of hydrogen plays a crucial role in the formation of stars. In the intense heat and pressure of a star's core, hydrogen nuclei fuse together to form helium, releasing a tremendous amount of energy. This process, called nuclear fusion, powers stars and is only possible because of the simple gross structure of hydrogen.

What is the significance of the gross structure of hydrogen in the study of atomic structure?

The gross structure of hydrogen was the basis for the development of the Bohr model of the atom, which revolutionized our understanding of atomic structure. It also serves as a reference point for comparing the gross structures of other elements and understanding their properties.