E-k Diagrams: Exploring Uses, History, & Facts

• I
  • Thread starter otaKu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diagrams
In summary, the E-k diagram is used extensively in various applications in physics due to its ability to convey important information about the electronic behavior of solids, such as determining the type of material and its energy gap. It is also useful for transport calculations and understanding interactions with photons and phonons. E-k diagrams allow for the conservation of energy and momentum to be tracked simultaneously, making it a valuable tool in studying solid-state physics. Some lesser-known facts about E-k diagrams include their use in determining allowed interactions and their significance in various processes. In addition to standard books, there are also other great references available for gaining insight into E-k diagrams.
otaKu
So I'm fairly new to them and I was wondering about the reasons it is used so extensively. It'd be great to have a discussion on its significance in various applications. When exactly did people start using these diagrams? How is it used in various parts of physics. What all information can it convey? What according to you are some lesser known facts about the E-k diagrams? Are there any great references to gain insight about them apart from the standard books like Charles Kittle, Ashcroft Mermin etc?! Looking forward to your inputs.

Likes EmilyRuck
otaKu said:
So I'm fairly new to them and I was wondering about the reasons it is used so extensively. It'd be great to have a discussion on its significance in various applications. When exactly did people start using these diagrams? How is it used in various parts of physics. What all information can it convey? What according to you are some lesser known facts about the E-k diagrams? Are there any great references to gain insight about them apart from the standard books like Charles Kittle, Ashcroft Mermin etc?! Looking forward to your inputs.
Your question is quite general and you had better put only one of them in the post. The E-K diagram includes vital information about the electronic behavior of solids. As a very simple example you can distinguish what the solid is (conductor, insulator, semiconductor) regarding the energy gap. Also this diagram can be used for transport calculations, optical transitions and many other goals.

Likes MisterX
One of the most important reasons for E-k diagrams (or more commonly known as bandstructures) is because of interactions of a material with photons, phonons, etc. In all interactions, energy and momentum must be conserved. By using E-k diagrams, one can keep track of both energy and momentum at the same time and determine which processes are allowed and which are not.

Likes otaKu
nmbr28Albert said:
One of the most important reasons for E-k diagrams (or more commonly known as bandstructures) is because of interactions of a material with photons, phonons, etc. In all interactions, energy and momentum must be conserved. By using E-k diagrams, one can keep track of both energy and momentum at the same time and determine which processes are allowed and which are not.
This was the sort of answer I was looking for. I guess I generalised the question a lot. Thank you for your inputs.

1. What are E-k diagrams and what are they used for?

E-k diagrams, also known as energy-momentum diagrams, are graphical representations of the relationship between the energy (E) and momentum (k) of a particle or system. They are commonly used in physics and materials science to study the electronic band structure of materials.

2. How are E-k diagrams created?

E-k diagrams are typically created using data from experiments or theoretical calculations. The energy levels are plotted on the vertical axis, while the momentum values are plotted on the horizontal axis. The resulting graph shows the allowed energy states for a given momentum.

3. What is the history behind E-k diagrams?

E-k diagrams were first introduced in the early 20th century by physicist Arnold Sommerfeld as a way to visualize the energy levels of electrons in solids. They have since become an important tool in the study of materials and have been used in various fields of research, including semiconductor technology and quantum mechanics.

4. What are some interesting facts about E-k diagrams?

- E-k diagrams are often used to explain the properties of semiconductors, such as their conductivity and band gap.- The shape of an E-k diagram can vary depending on the material and its properties.- E-k diagrams are also used in the study of superconductivity, the phenomenon of zero electrical resistance in certain materials at very low temperatures.

5. Are E-k diagrams only used in physics and materials science?

No, E-k diagrams are also used in other fields, such as chemistry and engineering. In chemistry, they are used to study the electronic structure of molecules and their properties. In engineering, they are used to analyze the electronic properties of materials used in electronic devices and circuits.