Why I am not always convinced living in EU makes sense

• News
  • Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
In summary: I think it's important for kids to learn how to take risks, and not be afraid of them. A society that coddles its children will eventually lose them to the world.
Physics news on Phys.org
And the odds of such an incident happening are ?

Up next: The barrel with a bung hole technique for raising children. At least they'll be safe.

Rules like this are rampant in the US, too.

I think overprotecting children creates adults who don't have a good idea of how to judge risk in general. This could mean that they overestimate their capabilities and take unwise risks, or they keep too far on the safe side and never take any risks.

Personally I think a society made of people who are afraid to take risks is a doomed society.

In the US, we just banned millions of a certain class of cribs because a small handfull of kids were killed by improperly maintained ones... at $11 million per life saved if implementation takes 10 years.

All because the Congress has the power To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian tribes, at least according to the twisted notion put forth by FDR era courts.

mheslep said:
In Europe the MEPs are not elected by the people? Is that correct?

That's not correct, but the European Parliament isn't where the power lies. That is in the European Council and the European Commission, whcih pretty much appoint themselves.

D H said:
And the odds of such an incident happening are ?

Up next: The barrel with a bung hole technique for raising children. At least they'll be safe.

Although a little smelly.

I think the question should be the other way :smile:

If the governments over there are able to pay so much attention to such silly things,that shows the level of development ,while some other countries are grappling poor education and child malnutrition.

shashankac655 said:
that shows the level of development

of bureaucracy perhaps.

lisab said:

I think overprotecting children creates adults who don't have a good idea of how to judge risk in general. This could mean that they overestimate their capabilities and take unwise risks, or they keep too far on the safe side and never take any risks.

My Mom and Dad let me skin my knees, and then some. It lead to a life of self-sufficiency and self-employment. After my years, I can't go down anymore, so I'm out of the diving business, but I can still consult.

Personally I think a society made of people who are afraid to take risks is a doomed society.[/QUOTE}

Life is a risk. You succeed, or you die. Hopefully, we'll help one another out in times of famine!

I'm not there yet, though!

DoggerDan said:
Life is a risk. You succeed, or you die.

Actually, you die even if you succeed.

Borek said:
Actually, you die even if you succeed.

True, but you're missing my point. :)

Would like to point out that this has little to do with the EU as such, but is the UK's overzealous interpretation of EU law. The UK, especially with health and safety regulations, are masters at coming up with bizarre rules and then blaming the bizarreness on EU rules although strangely no other European country interprets the rules that way.

lisab said:

Personally I think a society made of people who are afraid to take risks is a doomed society.

Nicely said! It's sort of a death spiral, too, where the more "safety" rules are made, the more folks are afraid to step out, and when they grow up and are in charge, they make even more rules.

I grew up collecting snakes and other reptiles. Some were even poisonous! These days, there's probably some rule against doing that.

1. Why should I be convinced that living in the EU makes sense?

There are many reasons why living in the EU can make sense. For starters, the EU provides numerous economic benefits, including a larger market for job opportunities and free trade among member countries. Additionally, the EU also promotes peace and stability through its cooperation and diplomatic efforts. Furthermore, living in the EU allows for easier travel and relocation within member countries, as well as access to various cultural and educational opportunities.

2. What are the drawbacks of living in the EU?

While there are many benefits of living in the EU, there are also some potential drawbacks. One of the most commonly cited drawbacks is the loss of national sovereignty, as decisions made by the EU may supersede those made by individual member countries. Additionally, there may be cultural and language barriers to overcome when living in a different EU country. Lastly, some may argue that the EU bureaucracy can be slow and inefficient, leading to frustration among citizens.

3. How does the EU impact my daily life?

The impact of the EU on your daily life may vary depending on which country you live in and your personal circumstances. However, some common ways that the EU may impact your daily life include consumer protection laws, environmental regulations, and the ability to travel and work freely within the EU. Additionally, the EU also provides funding for various projects and initiatives that can improve the quality of life for its citizens.

4. What are the benefits of living in a non-EU country?

There are many potential benefits to living in a non-EU country. For one, you may have more control over your country's laws and regulations, as decisions are not influenced by the EU. Additionally, living in a non-EU country may also provide a lower cost of living and potentially more affordable housing options. Furthermore, you may have the opportunity to experience a different culture and way of life, which can be enriching and educational.

5. How do EU policies and laws affect me as an individual?

The EU has a significant impact on the lives of its citizens through its policies and laws. For example, the EU has implemented various regulations and protections for consumers, workers, and the environment. These policies can directly affect your rights and well-being as an individual. Additionally, the EU also provides funding for various programs and initiatives that can benefit individuals, such as education and healthcare. However, some may argue that EU policies can also limit individual freedoms and choices.