Why is 1 u = 1.6605 x 10^-27 kg?

• Thread starter tuhtles
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of moles and their relationship to the atomic weight and mass of N2. The confusion arises due to the different units used to measure atoms and molecules. There are also discussions about potential changes to the definition of a mole and the implications it may have on atomic weights and energy production.
tuhtles
Sorry if this is a dumb question.. maybe I'm largely overlooking something..

For example, 1 mol of N2 (diatomic nitrogen gas) is apparently equal to 2 x (14u) x 1.6605 x 10^-27 kg/u = 4.6494 x 10^-26 kg

Why is 1 mol of N2 not equal to (1 mol N2) x 28 g N2/1 mol N2 = 28 g = .028 kg??

These two values are quite different..

Again, sorry it this is a dumb question! I think there's something I'm not understanding??

Physics news on Phys.org
You are mis-reading something, or there is a misprint. 1 mole of atoms weighs the atomic weight in grams (well, nearly) - so 1 mole of N2 weighs 28g, as you say. 1 molecule of N2 weighs around 10-26kg. 1 mole is usually written 1mol, which is the SI abbreviation. Is it possible that there's a mol(ecule) and mol(e) mix-up?

Edit: By the way, I like "quite different". You have a way with understatement.

Ibix said:
1 mole of atoms weighs the atomic weight in grams (well, nearly)
Exactly, it is the (current) definition of 1 mole.

There are ideas to fix the avogadro constant, but this would include a re-definition of the atomic mass unit and change the atomic weights (at the 8. decimal place or something like this). 1 mole would stay the same.

Yes - apologies, I was confused. The mass in grams of a mole of anything is numerically equal to the atomic/molecular weight in Daltons. However, the atomic weight is not the same as the number of protons plus the number of neutrons in general because of (a) the mass defect and (b) the isotopic mix.

there is also the whole binding energy with mass/energy equivilence to think about.

for those reasons we have fusion and fission energy production.

FAQ: Why is 1 u = 1.6605 x 10^-27 kg?

1. What is the definition of 1 u?

1 u, or one unified atomic mass unit, is a unit of mass used to express the mass of atoms and molecules on a microscopic scale. It is approximately equal to the mass of a proton or neutron, which is why it is also known as the atomic mass unit (amu).

2. How is the value of 1 u determined?

The value of 1 u is determined by comparing the mass of a carbon-12 atom to the mass of a single proton or neutron. The mass of a carbon-12 atom was defined as exactly 12 u, and by comparing it to the mass of a proton or neutron, the value of 1 u was calculated to be approximately 1.6605 x 10^-27 kg.

3. Why is 1 u used instead of kilograms?

1 u is used as a unit of mass for atoms and molecules because it is more convenient and practical to use on a microscopic scale. As atoms and molecules have very small masses, using kilograms would result in very small numbers, making calculations and measurements more difficult.

4. How does the value of 1 u compare to other units of mass?

The value of 1 u is approximately equal to the mass of a proton or neutron, which is approximately 1.6605 x 10^-27 kg. It is also equivalent to 1/12th of the mass of a carbon-12 atom. In comparison, 1 gram is equal to 6.022 x 10^23 u, and 1 kilogram is equal to 6.022 x 10^26 u.

5. Is the value of 1 u constant?

Yes, the value of 1 u is considered a constant in the field of atomic and molecular mass measurements. It is used as a reference point to express the mass of other atoms and molecules, and any changes in its value could significantly impact scientific calculations and measurements.

Back