1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is alpha dc when calculated from beta dfifferent from alpha calculated from Ic&Ie

1. Nov 10, 2012 #1
    i have been asked in my lab report to calculate alpha in a bjt common emmitter circuit using 2 different formulas and explain why one is misleading.

β=Ic/Ib= 537.1*10^-6/6.743*10^-6≈85
    α= Ic/Ie=573.1*10^-6/566.357*^-6≈1.011
    α=β/β +1≈0.988
    i have worked out the two values of alpha where our beta is roughly 85 however im not sure why alpha when calculated from Ic/Ie is missleading.

i have tried to search on the internet however i have found nothing yet and same with my lecture notes.
    any help is very much appreciated and i applogise if this is in the wrong section.
    thanks
    zee

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi zee! welcome to pf! :smile:
    it's asking why (Ic/Ib)/((Ic/Ib)+1) = Ic/(Ic + Ib) is not equal to Ic/Ie :wink:

4. Nov 10, 2012 #3
    Re: why is alpha dc when calculated from beta dfifferent from alpha calculated from I

hi thanks for the quick reply tiny-tim however in this case they are infact equal since ic+ib=ie but im still getting different values. i feel it is something to do with the capacitors or the configuration of the resistors that is causing a slight error but im not sure and im even less sure about why this is misleading

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook