Why Is Energy Conservation Not Valid in Moving Frames?

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of energy conservation in different frames of reference. The person mentions that they get the correct answer when working in the lab frame, but not in the moving frame of block B. They also mention that the same problem arises when working in the frame of block C. The response suggests that the reason for this is because the moving frame of block B is not an inertial frame, and therefore energy conservation does not hold true in this frame.
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

block.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If I work in the lab frame I get the correct answer 4J .

But I do not understand why I do not get the correct answer if I work in the moving frame of block B .

After collision with block A , block B starts moving with 2m/s towards right .

Now in the frame of B , initial velocity of C is 2m/s towards left . Total initial mechanical energy = (1/2)(6)(22) = 12J .

In this frame spring will have maximum compression when C is at rest .That means maximum potential energy should be 12 J .

What is the mistake ?

The same problem arises if I work in the frame of block C .

So why is it that energy conservation is not holding true in the moving frames ?

Attachments

• block.jpg
    block.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 587
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jahnavi said:
the moving frame of block B .
That will not be an inertial frame. KE appears different in different frames, even inertial ones, so in a non-inertial frame it will not be conserved.

Likes Jahnavi

1. What is the concept of energy stored in a spring?

The concept of energy stored in a spring is based on the idea that when a spring is compressed or stretched, it has the ability to store potential energy. This potential energy is then converted into kinetic energy when the spring is released, causing it to move or vibrate.

2. How is the energy stored in a spring calculated?

The energy stored in a spring can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2 kx^2, where E is the energy stored, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

3. What factors affect the amount of energy stored in a spring?

The amount of energy stored in a spring is affected by two main factors: the spring constant and the displacement of the spring. A stiffer spring with a higher spring constant will store more energy, and a greater displacement of the spring will also result in more energy being stored.

4. How is the energy stored in a spring used in real-life applications?

The energy stored in a spring is used in various real-life applications, such as in clocks, watches, and mechanical toys. It is also used in more complex systems, such as shock absorbers in cars and bungee cords for extreme sports.

5. Can the energy stored in a spring be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, the energy stored in a spring can be converted into other forms of energy. When the spring is released, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, which can then be used to perform work or create motion.