Why Is Energy Conservation Not Valid in Moving Frames?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jahnavi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Spring
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Jahnavi
Messages
848
Reaction score
102

Homework Statement


block.jpg


Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution



If I work in the lab frame I get the correct answer 4J .

But I do not understand why I do not get the correct answer if I work in the moving frame of block B .

After collision with block A , block B starts moving with 2m/s towards right .

Now in the frame of B , initial velocity of C is 2m/s towards left . Total initial mechanical energy = (1/2)(6)(22) = 12J .

In this frame spring will have maximum compression when C is at rest .That means maximum potential energy should be 12 J .

What is the mistake ?

The same problem arises if I work in the frame of block C .

So why is it that energy conservation is not holding true in the moving frames ?
 
Attachments
  • block.jpg
    block.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 720
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jahnavi said:
the moving frame of block B .
That will not be an inertial frame. KE appears different in different frames, even inertial ones, so in a non-inertial frame it will not be conserved.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Jahnavi