Why Is My Calculation of Final Velocities in an Elastic Collision Incorrect?

In summary: The two carts, with masses 0.8 kg and 1.2 kg, are moving towards each other with speeds 4.5 m/s and 3.8 m/s respectively. After colliding elastically, the final velocities of the two carts can be found using the equation m1v1 + m2v2 = m1vf1 + m2vf2. Using this equation, we can find that vf1 = 13.5 m/s. However, when calculating the kinetic energy using the equation .5m1v1^2 + .5m2v2^2 = .5m1vf^2 + .5 m1vf2^2, the second term on the left hand side
jubbly

Homework Statement

Two carts with masses m1 = 0.8 kg and m2 = 1.2 kg are moving toward each other with
speeds v1 = 4.5 m/s and v2 = 3.8 m/s as shown in the diagram below. The two carts
collide elastically.

Some reason I'm getting too high of a value, don't know I'm doing wrong...

Homework Equations

momentum = m1v1 + m2v2 = m1vf1 + m2vf2

kinetic energy = .5m1v1^2 + .5m2v2^2 = .5m1vf^2 + .5 m1vf2^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I found the momentum which came out to be -.96 = .8vf1 + 1.2vf2
Rearranged the equation to solve for vf2 = -(2/3)vf1 - .8
Then tried to find kinetic energy and got 8.1 + 10.83 = .4vf1^2 + .6vf2^2

Plugged in v2 and got 16.76 = .4vf1^2 + (4/15)vf1^2 + .64vf1 + .384
Subtracted 16.76 from both sides
Used quadratic equation

Came out with 13.5 m/s for vf1.

Physics news on Phys.org
jubbly said:
Then tried to find kinetic energy and got 8.1 + 10.83 = .4vf1^2 + .6vf2^2
Check the second term on the left hand side.

Doc Al said:
Check the second term on the left hand side.

Fixed it a little, but still getting a pretty high number. Is that really the answer?

jubbly said:
Fixed it a little, but still getting a pretty high number. Is that really the answer?
No. I got the same equation as yours, but got a lower answer.

Your approach to solving this problem seems correct. It is possible that there may be a calculation error or a mistake in setting up the equations. It may be helpful to double check your calculations and equations to ensure accuracy. Additionally, it may be helpful to check if the values given in the problem are correct and if there are any other factors that could affect the final result. If you are still getting a significantly different value, it may be helpful to seek assistance from a teacher or tutor for further clarification.

Related to Why Is My Calculation of Final Velocities in an Elastic Collision Incorrect?

1. What is linear momentum?

Linear momentum is a property of an object that describes its motion. It is the product of an object's mass and velocity, and is a vector quantity, meaning it has both size and direction.

2. How are linear momentum carts used in scientific experiments?

Linear momentum carts are used in experiments to study the conservation of momentum. This principle states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, regardless of any external forces acting on it.

3. How does the mass of a cart affect its linear momentum?

The mass of a cart directly affects its linear momentum. A cart with a larger mass will have a greater linear momentum at the same velocity compared to a cart with a smaller mass.

4. What happens to the linear momentum of a cart when it collides with another object?

When a cart collides with another object, the total momentum of the system is conserved. This means that the sum of the momenta of the two objects before the collision is equal to the sum of the momenta after the collision.

5. Is linear momentum conserved in all types of collisions?

Yes, linear momentum is conserved in all types of collisions. This is because no external forces act on the system, and any changes in momentum between the objects involved in the collision are equal and opposite.