Why is my water-to-wine reaction slow?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brad12d3
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Reaction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Brad12d3
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
OK, so I saw a video of someone doing the water to wine trick and just had to learn it. There are apparently a few different ways that this can be done,...but settled on this version: http://imaginationstationtoledo.org/content/2010/11/water-to-wine/

It's absolutely great, but for some reason when I do it, the change isn't nearly instantaneous. I followed the directions exactly but for some reason it takes several seconds for mine to change. I am curious as to why mine would act differently... I wondered if it had to do with the laundry starch I got. It mentions "biodegradable ingredient".. so I wonder if there is something chemically different about it than other starches?

Here's what I used the first time and then I went and picked up some other laundry starch at walmart that was concentrated. It still doesn't happen instantly though.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2psm539.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Brad12d3 said:
It's absolutely great, but for some reason when I do it, the change isn't nearly instantaneous. I followed the directions exactly but for some reason it takes several seconds for mine to change.
From one's description, it sounds like what is supposed to be a rapid transition is progressing more slowly. Some either the Vitamin C is being used up slowly, or the conversion of iodine is occurring slowly. I appears that there are two solutions in separate beakers initially. Perhaps one should stir the separate beakers first.
In Reaction # 1 iodide ions react with hydrogen peroxide to produce iodine element which is blue in the presence of starch. BUT, before that can actually happen, the Vitamin C quickly reacts and consumes the elemental iodine.

The net result, at least for part of the time is that the solution remains colorless with excess of iodide ions being present. Now after a short time as the reactions keep proceeding in this fashion, the Vitamin C gets gradually used up. Once the Vitamin C is used up, the solution turns blue, because now the iodine element and starch are present.
Considering what reactions take place, it could be either the Vitamin C or starch. What are the ingredients/additives in the starch.