Why is one of the solutions obtained using Coulomb's Law not valid?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving Coulomb's Law and the calculation of net electrostatic force. The problem involves three particles with known and unknown charges, and the goal is to find the x and y coordinates for the third particle to experience zero net force. One solution is found using Coulomb's Law, but there is confusion about why the other solution is not valid. It is explained that the charge must be outside of a certain region to be in equilibrium. Another user asks for help with a similar problem involving Coulomb's Law.
Saladsamurai
[SOLVED] Question about Coulomb's Law

I just solved this a problem in my text: Particle 1 of charge +1.0 uC and particle 2 of charge -3.0 uC are held at a separation L=10.0 cm on an x-axis. If particle 3 of unknown charge q3 is to be placed such that the net electrostatic force on it from 1 and 2 is zero, what must its x and y coordinates be?

Okay, I solved this using Coulomb's Law which gave me a quadratic. Thus, I got two solutions. My question is: why is one of them not valid?

I got x=.0366 and x=-.14. -.14 m is the correct answer. Why does the .0366 work? And if it does not, why did the quadratic produce it?

It may be obvious, but I am just not seeing it now.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It's obvious. A charge of either sign placed between two opposite charges will experience a force from both in the same direction. It has to be outside of the region to be in even unstable equilibrium. Quadratics often give an unphysical solution.

I knew it had to do with the signs. . . I just couldn't put my finger on it. Thanks Dick! Now I know to look for that.

Hello !
Can anyone help me to solve the below problem on Coulomb's law please..
One Metal rod with -1000C charge is hanging on the earth. One another charged metal ball which mass 1 kg is tie by a rope & it floating 1m away from the rod. How much charge is containing by the ball??

for your help!

I would like to first commend you for solving the problem using Coulomb's Law and obtaining two solutions. It shows that you have a good understanding of the concept. Now, to answer your question, one of the solutions may not be valid because it does not satisfy the given conditions of the problem. In this case, the condition is that the net electrostatic force on particle 3 from particles 1 and 2 must be zero. Therefore, the solution that does not satisfy this condition is not a physically possible solution. The reason the quadratic produced it is because it is a mathematical solution, but not all mathematical solutions have a physical significance. It is important to always check the solutions obtained and see if they satisfy the given conditions of the problem. I hope this helps clarify your doubt. Keep up the good work!

Related to Why is one of the solutions obtained using Coulomb's Law not valid?

What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of electrostatics that describes the relationship between the magnitude of two charged particles and the distance between them. It states that the force of attraction or repulsion between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

Who discovered Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law was discovered by French physicist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb in 1785.

What is the mathematical equation for Coulomb's Law?

The mathematical equation for Coulomb's Law is F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force between two charged particles, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two particles, and r is the distance between them.

What is the unit of measurement for the Coulomb's constant?

The unit of measurement for the Coulomb's constant is newtons meter squared per coulomb squared (Nm^2/C^2).

How does Coulomb's Law apply to real-life situations?

Coulomb's Law is applicable to many real-life situations, such as the attraction and repulsion between charged particles in atoms and molecules, the behavior of electric charges in circuits and electronic devices, and the force between charged particles in thunderstorms and lightning strikes. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of electric fields and forces in everyday life.