Why is specific heat capacity less?

In summary, the error in calculating the specific heat capacity is due to the fact that heat is lost to the environment.
donkeycopter
Hi,

I just did a specific heat capacity test using a calorimeter, and the specific heat capacity I found (using heat gained = heat lost) is less than the real value.

The problem is, I expected it to be more.

I mean heat will be lost through the calorimeter, meaning that a greater amount of heat energy will be required than ideally yes? So if the mass and the temperature are the same as in the ideal scenario in the equation:

Q = mc [tex]\Delta[/tex] TThen doesn't that mean heat energy required is directly proportional to c? So if heat energy required goes up (as heat is lost) doesn't that mean the specific heat will go up?I can't figure it out!

Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
How good is your calorimeter?

It should know, and compensate for, it's own heat loss

Oh, it's an old manual calorimeter in which you just stick a thermometer in the whole in the lid.

Then that's probably your reason! :D

A bit of investigation into the errors might explain it, and put the expected result within your error bars.

How far out were you? Did you repeat it and get the same thing?

But that's not the point.

The textbooks says the specific heat capacity will be LESS, because heat is lost through the calorimeter, but I don't understand WHY.

You screwed up in measuring energy transfer IN, or the mass of the stuff you were testing.

Or your thermometer sucks.

No cause for alarm.

You calculate c as
c=Q/(m*delta T), right?
The problem is to find Q.
You assume that all the heat lost by the object you are measuring is absorbed by the water and calorimeter, Q = Qw+Qc
If some heat is lost to the environment too, then Q= Qw+Qc+Qe
If you have all these three terms and add them together, then plug into first formula, you'll get the right value for c. If you neglect Qe (you cannot measure it), then you'll use Q'=Qw+Qc which is less than Q and it will give a smaller value for c.

Last edited:

What is specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of one unit mass of a substance by one degree Celsius.

Why is specific heat capacity important?

Specific heat capacity is important because it helps us understand how much heat energy is required to change the temperature of a substance. This is useful in many applications, such as cooking, heating and cooling systems, and industrial processes.

Why is specific heat capacity different for different substances?

The specific heat capacity of a substance is affected by its molecular structure and composition. Different substances have different arrangements of molecules, which can affect how much heat energy is needed to change their temperature.

Why is specific heat capacity less for some substances?

Some substances have a lower specific heat capacity because their molecules are able to absorb and retain heat energy more easily. This can be due to factors such as stronger intermolecular forces or a larger number of molecules per unit mass.

How does specific heat capacity affect the behavior of substances?

The specific heat capacity of a substance can impact its behavior in terms of how quickly it heats up or cools down, its ability to store and transfer heat energy, and its melting and boiling points. Understanding specific heat capacity is crucial in many fields, such as thermodynamics, materials science, and environmental science.