Why Is the 0.7 Volts Diode Drop Used in Calculating R2 Current?

In summary, the conversation is discussing a formula for calculating current in a circuit, specifically the use of the voltage drop across a diode in the equation. One person is confused about why the diode's voltage drop is used when the resistor also has its own voltage drop. Another person explains that the voltage drops across components in parallel must be the same. The conversation concludes with the understanding that all components in parallel share the same potential drop.
Eisen
This isn't a homework question but it is a formula from a book I have been using to study, so I'm posting it here.

Here is the circuit and formula -

diode resistor.JPG

I don't understand why the voltage drop of 0.7 volts across the diode is being used as part of the formula to work out the current across R2 when R2 has it's own voltage drop across it. Can someone explain this to me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that since the diode and resistor are in parallel, the voltage drop across them has to be the same. So since you know the voltage drop across the diode you can just extend that to R2.

I don't see why the voltage drop across R2 and the diode would be the same.

Eisen said:
I don't see why the voltage drop across R2 and the diode would be the same.

Well, the diode and the resistor are connected. The voltage at the pink point I added to your diagram can only be one value.

diode resistor.JPG

So the voltage drop through resistor 2 is the same as in the diode because they are in parallel?

Eisen said:
So the voltage drop through resistor 2 is the same as in the diode because they are in parallel?

Yes. ANY components that are in parallel all share the same potential drop.

Thanks, well that clears things up for me.

Related to Why Is the 0.7 Volts Diode Drop Used in Calculating R2 Current?

1. How do I calculate the resistor value for a diode circuit?

The formula for calculating the resistor value in a diode circuit is R = (Vsource - Vdiode) / I, where R is the resistor value in ohms, Vsource is the source voltage, Vdiode is the diode's forward voltage drop, and I is the desired current through the diode.

2. What is the purpose of using a diode and resistor in a circuit?

A diode is used to allow current to flow in only one direction, while a resistor is used to limit the amount of current flowing through a circuit. Together, they can be used to create a specific voltage drop or to protect other components from excessive current.

3. Can I use any diode and resistor in a circuit or are there specific types I should use?

There are many different types of diodes and resistors, each with their own unique properties and uses. It is important to choose the appropriate type for your specific circuit to ensure proper operation and safety.

4. How do I determine the power rating for a diode and resistor in a circuit?

The power rating for a diode can typically be found in its datasheet, and is usually given in watts. For a resistor, the power rating can be calculated using the formula P = I² * R, where P is the power in watts, I is the current through the resistor, and R is the resistor value in ohms.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using a diode and resistor in a circuit?

Some common mistakes to avoid include using a diode with a reverse voltage that is too high for the circuit, not properly calculating the resistor value for the desired current, and not considering the power dissipation of the diode and resistor in the circuit. It is also important to double check all connections and ensure proper polarity for the diode.