Why is the calculated ∆S error 0.0007m instead of 0.0005m?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
fabsuk
Messages
51
Reaction score
0
i have 5 values of slit width S

0.0015m
0.0158m
0.00191m
0.0021m
0.00257m

the standard error is plus or minus 0.0005

however my teacher says she wants us to calculate ∆S error
she says its ∆S=S(subscript 2) - S(subscript 1)

she says the answer is 0.0007m

WHY IS THIS SO?

Fabian
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you don't know what the "correct" value is for some quantity,
but are pretty sure you've measured what should be the same thing 5 times, you have to presume that your average value is the "correct" one.

How do you analyze your data (even after fixing #2 = 0.00158)
and obtain a "standard error" of .0005 ?
I got a mean of .001932 and a sample standard deviation of .00038 ...
but the estimate of your error in the "correct" value is the population standard deviation of .00043 .
If you have some reason to think that your variations are normally distributed, you can report the 50%-level rather than the 1-sigma ...
that would get you pretty close to .0005 , I guess.

The only way I can think of to get a .0007
would be to use the two-sigma range (mean - sigma) to (mean + sigma),
with the sample standard deviations. I'd call it unusual.