Why is the curl of Biot-Savart Law equal to zero?

In summary, in electrostatics the divergence of the electric field and the integral of the electric flux over a closed surface give zero.
Dorsh
My understanding of the curl of a vector field is the amount of circulation per unit area with a direction normal to the area. For the vector field described as [tex]\textbf{B} =\boldsymbol{\hat\phi} \frac{\mu_{0}I}{2 \pi r} [/tex] I figured the curl would be something more like this, because it points in the vector normal to the rotation and in the direction of the current.

[tex]\nabla \times \textbf{B} = \boldsymbol{\hat{z}}\frac{\mu_{0}I}{\pi r^2}[/tex]

But when I go to calculate the curl of it by hand, I get zero. I know this can't be the case because I can do the line integral around a circle of radius r @ z = 0 and get
[tex] \iint_{S} {\nabla \times \textbf{B}} \cdot d\textbf{S}=\oint_{C}\textbf{B} \cdot d\textbf{l} = \mu_{0}I [/tex]

So I know the curl cannot be zero. But when I calculate by hand and by calculator, in cylindrical and cartesian coordinates, I get zero. Why is this the case? Am I doing the math wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is zero everywhere except at r=0. Try doing a line integral around a path that does not enclose the origin.

Likes Dorsh
Ahh, that makes more sense. If the curl of B is zero everywhere except for r = 0, I'm guessing the magnitude is probably more in line with a unit impulse function, right?

Yes, which is what you would expect with an impulsive current density located at r=0.

Likes Dorsh
Note that we have an analogous situation in electrostatics, with the divergence of ##\vec E## and the integral of the flux of ##\vec E## over a closed surface. Consider a point charge and calculate ##\nabla \cdot \vec E## at any point where the charge is not located. Also calculate ##\oint {\vec E \cdot d \vec a}## for (a) a surface that encloses the charge, and (b) for a surface that does not enclose the charge.

Likes Dorsh

What is the Curl of Biot-Savart Law?

The Curl of Biot-Savart Law is a mathematical equation that describes the magnetic field generated by a steady current. It is named after French physicists Jean-Baptiste Biot and Félix Savart, who first described the relationship between electric currents and magnetic fields in the early 19th century.

How is the Curl of Biot-Savart Law used in physics?

The Curl of Biot-Savart Law is used to calculate the magnetic field produced by a steady current at any point in space. This is important in many areas of physics, including electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and plasma physics. It is also used in practical applications such as designing magnets and motors.

What is the mathematical formula for the Curl of Biot-Savart Law?

The mathematical formula for the Curl of Biot-Savart Law is B = μ0I/(4πr^2) x dl x sinθ, where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, r is the distance from the current, dl is the length of the current element, and θ is the angle between the current element and the point where the magnetic field is being calculated.

What are the assumptions made in the Curl of Biot-Savart Law?

The Curl of Biot-Savart Law assumes that the current is steady and that the magnetic field is being calculated at a point far away from the current. It also assumes that the current is confined to a wire or a series of wires, and that there are no other sources of magnetic fields present.

How does the Curl of Biot-Savart Law relate to other laws in physics?

The Curl of Biot-Savart Law is closely related to other laws in physics, such as Ampere's Law and Gauss's Law. Together, these laws form the basis of electromagnetism and help us understand the relationship between electric currents, magnetic fields, and electric charges. They are also used in the study of electromagnetics, electrodynamics, and other areas of physics.