Why is the dimension of the vector space , 0?

In summary, The concept of dimension for the zero subspace is different from other vector spaces. While other vector spaces have a basis that spans the entire space, the zero subspace does not have a basis. This is because the zero subspace only contains the zero vector, which is not linearly independent and therefore cannot be used as a basis. Some conventions, such as the use of the empty set as a basis, are used to make general rules apply to the zero subspace as well. However, this may lead to confusion and is not universally accepted.
Dosmascerveza
In other words, why is dim[{0}]=0. My math professor explained that since the 0 vector is just a POINT in R2 that the zero subspace doesn't have a basis and therefore has dimension zero. This is not satisfactory.

For example, I know R2 has a dimension 2, P_n has dimension n+1, M_(2,2) has dimension 4. These numbers make sense to me but if the zero subspace contain the zero vector why does it not have a basis?

Can someone explain this concept to me a bit further

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Convention. It makes, among other things, the rank-nullity theorem work.

So you say dim[{o}]=0 because you've defined it that way. So the definition of dimension is different for the zero subspace than for every other V space? But how can there be two definitions of dimension be used in the same sense?

Dosmascerveza said:
the zero subspace doesn't have a basis and therefore has dimension zero.
That statement is false; are you sure you heard him correctly? The zero subspace does have a basis -- the empty set.

I heard him correctly. He made no mention of the empty set. He may have taken some "liberties" to keep it simple for the country-folk.

Hurkyl said:
That statement is false; are you sure you heard him correctly? The zero subspace does have a basis -- the empty set.

Isn't the basis supposed to span the vector space? The empty set does not even span the the null-vector.
In any case, {0} can hardly be treated as a basis, because it is not linearly independent! It is common however to treat trivial cases with "arbitrary" definitions to make general rules hold for these cases as well. Compare with the convention 0^0 = 0 in power series.

Jarle said:
Isn't the basis supposed to span the vector space? The empty set does not even span the the null-vector.
The linear combination of no terms is equal to zero.

Dosmascerveza said:
I heard him correctly. He made no mention of the empty set. He may have taken some "liberties" to keep it simple for the country-folk.
I guess I don't find that too surprising -- many people seem to vehemently detest dealing with degenerate cases.

Well thanks Hurkyl! I will approach him with your assertion and we will go from there. I hope pressing for some deeper answers won't adversely affect my grade.

1. Why is the dimension of the vector space, 0?

The dimension of a vector space refers to the number of linearly independent vectors that span the space. If the dimension is 0, it means that there are no linearly independent vectors in the space. This can happen if the space only contains the zero vector, which is trivially linearly independent.

2. Can a vector space have a dimension of 0?

Yes, a vector space can have a dimension of 0. As mentioned before, this means that there are no linearly independent vectors in the space. This may seem counterintuitive, but it is a valid mathematical concept.

3. What does a dimension of 0 imply about a vector space?

A dimension of 0 implies that the vector space is trivial, meaning it only contains the zero vector. This also means that the space is not very interesting from a linear algebra perspective, as there are no non-trivial operations that can be performed on a 0-dimensional vector space.

4. How is the dimension of a vector space determined?

The dimension of a vector space can be determined by finding a basis for the space. A basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that span the space. The number of vectors in the basis is equal to the dimension of the space. If a basis cannot be found, the dimension is 0.

5. Is a vector space with a 0 dimension considered a subspace of other vector spaces?

Yes, a vector space with a 0 dimension is considered a subspace of all other vector spaces. This is because the zero vector is always a member of any vector space, making it a subset of all other vector spaces. However, it is not a particularly useful subspace, as it has limited applications in linear algebra.