Why is the output in the middle of the block diagram?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
EastWindBreaks
Messages
128
Reaction score
3
(mentor note: not really a homework as the OP seeks understanding from an article)

1. Homework Statement

upload_2018-10-15_6-58-58.png


I saw this on https://www.electronicshub.org/open-loop-system/, I thought the dry clothes should be the output, and heating the cloth should be the plant/process, I am so confused

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution



[/B]
 
Attachments
  • upload_2018-10-15_6-58-58.png
    upload_2018-10-15_6-58-58.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 1,201
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There's a diagram at the start of your article that shows the controller as the central component si its has input and it has output. The output of the controller is the input to the process. They then implicitly map that to the diagram above so that the actual dryness is to process output.

I think its a bit confusing too as they talk about loops but none are shown in these diagrams.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: EastWindBreaks
+1

The "controlled output" is the heating element. The dryness of the clothes isn't controlled because that would depend on other factors such as how wet they were when they were put in the machine.

If they added a humidity sensor and connected that to the controller then the dryness of the clothes would be a controlled output.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: EastWindBreaks