Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is there no Star Wars thread yet?

1. Apr 8, 2005 #1

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Why is there no Star Wars thread yet??!?!!!

http://www.starwars.com/

May 19, 2005. You have all seen the full trailer, right...?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2005 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Oh yeah.

I just have a hard time getting too excited about it because I know it's going to have the same crappy acting the last two had.

P.S. Darth Maul kicks the crap out of Vader any day.

4. Apr 8, 2005 #3
    Pff starwars. I know I will not be seeing it. I saw the last few a while back just to understand some references and I thought the movies were not very good at all.

5. Apr 8, 2005 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I agree somewhat. The first was an extended kids show. The second was a bit better, but the whole love affair plot line was brutal. The best part of the three is the way things are revealed as to what happened. That's the context I keep them in.

6. Apr 8, 2005 #5

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

May 19th?

Why not on International Star Wars Day like usual?

7. Apr 8, 2005 #6

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Since a Star Wars thread has opened up, I must rant about my dissatisfaction with Return of the Jedi:

The 2nd Death Star would have been destroyed (killing Vader and the Emperor) whether or not Luke was there. Luke is of 0 importance (to the Rebellion) after A New Hope. Why all the hype over Luke's importance? At the end, no jedi were needed to defeat the Empire.

8. Apr 8, 2005 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Because it isn't Luke who is the returning Jedi; the one who returns/redeems himself as a Jedi is Anakin Skywalker.
    The six Star Wars episodes chronicle the rise/fall/return of that Jedi.
    That, at any rate, is my interpretation of the cycle, so I'm very excited about this new movie where the fall is going to happen..
    EDIT:
    The Ewoks, however, were almost as bad as Jar-Jar Binks..:yuck:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2005
  9. Apr 8, 2005 #8

learningphysics

Homework Helper

But Star Wars isn't just about personal redemption. There is the matter of defeating the Empire and the Emperor and succeeding in the rebellion. My point is that in this regard the Jedi turn out to be unimportant (beyond the first film). Vader's killing of the Emperor was unnecessary - yes it redeems him, and brings him to the light side. But with regards to the larger problem, it was unnecessary. The Emperor would have died anyway when the death star exploded.

It really diminishes everything that Obiwan said about Luke being their last hope. At the end Jedi were not needed to defeat the Empire.

10. Apr 8, 2005 #9

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Hey! Don't make fun of the Ewoks! They actually helped defeat the Empire! They turn out to be more important than Luke or Vader!

11. Apr 8, 2005 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Says who?
    The two figures who remain throughout the six movies are Palpatine and Anakin Skywalker.
    The hero falls to the wiles of the villain, and only at the end is he able to redeem himself.
    The Empire isn't forged yet in the first two movies.
    Who knows how that old vampire could have turned the tables if Vader hadn't rebelled at last?
    We'll never know..
    (And besides, just because old Palpy made a long fall, can we really be sure he's gone for good?)

PS:
    I like it when others have wildly diferring views than my own on a cycle of movies I love.
    I hope I haven't offended you by opposing your own views with mine..:smile:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2005
  12. Apr 8, 2005 #11

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

WHAT????
    You're actually an Ewok-fan?
    I am dismayed..

13. Apr 8, 2005 #12
    What is wrong with you?!?!

Granted, Lucas's brain has turned to rocks since the 1970s, midichlorians alone prove that, but the ewoks were great!!

14. Apr 8, 2005 #13

learningphysics

Homework Helper

lol! Yes, I do like the Ewoks. However I was mainly just trying to make a point about ROTJ, and how the story doesn't end right. The way the story finishes, Ewoks turn out more important than Jedi.

15. Apr 8, 2005 #14

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The next I'll hear is that Jar-Jar Binks was great too, I suppose..:grumpy:

16. Apr 8, 2005 #15

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I agree that if you regard "A new hope" as the first episode in the cycle, then the ending in ROTJ don't make too much sense.
    However, George Lucas had the whole cycle drafted back in the 70's, but had to release the most dramatic episode(s) first.
    He didn't have the means to finance his own movies back then.

17. Apr 8, 2005 #16

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Isn't there something kind of weird amiss, when an Emperor who had the smarts to deceive millions and get control of an entire galaxy, has his plans foiled by a bunch of cute teddy bears? :eek:

18. Apr 8, 2005 #17

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

You can't assume that they would have been able to destroy the Death Star without killing the emperor. The power of your will is another one of the main themes.

19. Apr 8, 2005 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I knew it was due out sometime this year, but hadn't heard much about it yet. Russ, I think it's a bigger deal to our generation than to these younger folks here. I can't wait! I just hope they don't screw it up with too much mushy love scene stuff like the last one. Once they're all out, I want to do a Star Wars marathon weekend and watch all 6! :biggrin:

20. Apr 8, 2005 #19

learningphysics

Homework Helper

I think the real test of the saga will be when a new generation watches it in chronological order (episode 1 - 6).

I wonder if it will work for them.

21. Apr 8, 2005 #20

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

He was foiled by Vader's rebellion; you do not know what tricks Palpatine had up in his sleeve.
    Vader turning against him completely surprised him; it's been a few years since I saw ROTJ, but as far as I remember, the Emperor wasn't particularly worried that the rebels might actually succeed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?