Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is this the barycenter?

1. Feb 27, 2012 #1
    I'm looking at <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-body_problem>. I'm
    looking not too far down the page in the section:

Center of mass motion (1st one-body problem)

He computes easily R as the barycentric center. Why must
    this be so? Can it be shown geometrically, or perhaps by forces that are zero there?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi solarblast! :smile:

(btw, if you just type a url, the pf software will auomatically make a link out of it, eg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-body_problem#Center_of_mass_motion_.281st_one-body_problem.29 :wink:)
    you mean R'' = (m1x1'' + m2x2'')/(m1 + m2) ?

that's just the double derivative of the standard vector formula for centre of mass …

R = (m1x1 + m2x2)/(m1 + m2) :smile:

(btw, i don't think anyone actually calls it "barycentre" :rolleyes:)

4. Feb 29, 2012 #3
    Thanks. I'll buy that with the caveats below about what I'm doing.

I think the writer of the page is likely British. They still cling to centre.

It's been a very long time since I've done anything substantive in physics. I'm grasping what I can in a book on celestial mechanics to get to the part I'm interested in, orbits. I skipped the preceding chapter which is really about center of mass and gravity, so maybe I might review what I need there.

While I'm at it, I'll ask another question on derivatives of vectors from an early chapter that I've skimmed through. He mentions r dot r = r**2, where the left side r's are vectors. (maybe I need some meta cmds to express these items as you have done. Where would I get them?) He differentiates that with respect to time and gets
    r dot r-dot = rr-dot. r dot r = rr*cos(theta) = r**2 sort of gets me there, but I must be missing something. The derivative derivation he gives doesn't jump off the page to me.

5. Feb 29, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi solarblast! :smile:
    the LHS is (r.r)' = 2(r.r') = 2|r||r'|cosθ

(for bold, use the B button just above the reply box, or use [noparse][/noparse] :wink:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?