Why isn't there an option to delete threads?

• Thread starter Daniel2244
  • Start date
  • Tags
    delete
In summary, the lack of an option to delete old threads on the forum is due to a combination of reasons, including the potential for those threads to contain valuable solutions for others, the potential for rudeness if someone else deletes your posts without permission, and the need to maintain a record of discussions for the longevity of the forum. Additionally, allowing members to edit their posts indefinitely can lead to confusion and problems with accuracy. It is important for moderators and mentors to monitor and address any issues that may arise in order to maintain a positive and productive forum environment.
Daniel2244
I am just curious, why there isn't an option where you can delete your old threads? Is it because someone might have the same question/problem and your threads could provide a solution without a need for them to create a thread?

Physics news on Phys.org
Daniel2244 said:
I am just curious, why there isn't an option where you can delete your old threads? Is it because someone might have the same question/problem and your threads could provide a solution without a need for them to create a thread?
It's that, plus I would consider it rude for someone not a moderator to delete my posts without asking me.

Likes fresh_42
russ_watters said:
it rude for someone not a moderator to delete my posts without asking me.
I don't mean other people can delete other peoples threads, just your own.

Daniel2244 said:
Thread->posts.

If you delete a thread, you delete all posts in the thread, regardless of who wrote them.

Daniel2244 said:
It is rude as soon as there has been replies. It meant that we don't appreciate our members' efforts to answer to posts. Why should I, if it is deleted anyway?

Daniel2244 said:
delete your old threads?
Among other things it's "dis-incentive" for "drive-by" posting; you have no anonymity.

Bystander said:
Among other things it's "dis-incentive" for "drive-by" posting; you have no anonymity.
I do not know what you tried to say there.

If a member is either serious, or is honestly curious, he can post a statement, or post a question. Member should expect that this posting will remain on the forum for as long as the whole physicsforums lasts. Some replies may then be posted, either as part of discussion or as a way to answer the original post. These stay also, unless some postings get out-of-hand; and then a moderator or administrator could delete a post, or lock the topic. Mod or admin's can also delete posts no matter who made them.

Individual posts can be deleted by mentors. We can also stop a member from making new posts in a particular thread, a thread ban.

Members can only edit a post in a thread for a time after the member wrote the post. We used to allow members to edit any post they made as long as the whole thread was open for posts. This created problems with members who always had to be "right". Those members would go back and "retrofit" previous posts in a discussion to make themselves appear correct. This caused confusion. Not to mention lots of discord.
@symbolipoint --
@Bystander comment about "drive-by" posts and other activities like that, is an excellent point. It just means that nasty, derisive and or nonsense posts cannot be altered after a short while. Sort of a smoking gun, so to speak. Being a moderator or mentor means checking in several times a day, in order to fix a surprising number of problems. Without the no-delete feature we could have big problems and never be able to see them, since we cannot be everywhere on PF all the time.

Please report any problems you happen to see. It makes PF life a lot easier for all of us.

Likes berkeman
Daniel2244 said:
I am just curious, why there isn't an option where you can delete your old threads?
In addition to the other responses, keep in mind that the PF is visited by search engine bots many times a day, and posts are archived by those search engines. So even for deleted posts and threads, a Google search (or via other search engines) turns up those archived versions if the "live" version is no longer available.

symbolipoint said:
... as long as the whole physicsforums lasts.
Isn't PF's life expectancy = ?

1. Why can't I delete a thread on a forum?

The option to delete threads on a forum is typically not available because it would disrupt the flow of the conversation and potentially remove important information for other users.

2. Can the forum administrator delete threads?

Yes, forum administrators often have the ability to delete threads if they violate the forum's rules or guidelines. However, this should only be done in extreme cases to maintain the integrity of the forum.

3. Is there a way to remove my posts from a thread?

While there may not be an option to delete the entire thread, you can usually edit or delete your individual posts within the thread. This allows you to remove your contribution without disrupting the entire conversation.

4. What if I accidentally post sensitive information on a thread?

If you accidentally post sensitive information on a thread, you should contact a forum moderator or administrator immediately. They may be able to remove the post or thread for you, or they can advise you on how to handle the situation.

5. Why do some forums allow thread deletion while others don't?

The ability to delete threads is ultimately up to the forum's administrators and their specific rules and policies. Some forums may allow thread deletion to give users more control over their content, while others may prioritize the preservation of information and discussions.