Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why magent is needed in pump design

1. Aug 29, 2011 #1
    Hi,
    I am working in a pump manufacturer company. When i went on first day to office, i saw inside the pump that its having one small magent attached to stroke rod. Can any one explain me, hoe magent is useful in that and a small PCB design was also located in the pump. I am eager to know what is the use of magent.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2011 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

who knows ?? maybe the magnet goes past a sensor to detect RPM ?

what sort of pump ? how is it powered ? do you have any www links to show us what it looks like ?

Dave

4. Aug 29, 2011 #3
    Hold a magnet close to a piece of wire and now pass a current through the wire.The resulting magnetic field set up around the wire interacts with the field of the magnet and this results in a force acting on the wire and an equal and opposite force acting on the magnet.Most electric motors use this magnetic effect and I would advise you to google for details.Try the "hyperphysics" site.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook