Why Do Acids Like HCl Donate Protons?

• Thread starter WLuderman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Protons
In summary, the conversation discusses the factors that contribute to the ability of acids to donate protons, including electronegativity and the Lewis base's ability to donate electrons. A tutorial is also mentioned as a resource for estimating the strength of various acids and bases.
WLuderman
I wondered if anyone could help me with a question. Do acids such as HCl donate protons because the conjugate acid is more electronegative? Such as the O in H2O is more EN than Cl, and that's why the H+ dissociates?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It is not about just electronegativity - what is more electronegative, oxygen in SO42- or oxygen in H2O?

I'd have to say So4^2- because it carries a negative charge, so it will attract protons...?

What about HSO4- then?

Here's a nice tutorial describing how one might estimate the relative strength of various acids and bases. Electronegativity is one factor, but there are other factors that are important as well:

http://www.chem.ucla.edu/harding/tutorials/acids_and_bases/mol_str.pdf

Thanks for that I'll watch it.

That's actually really helpful. I see it's as I suspected more to do with the lewis bases ability to donate electrons. Like the protons are pulled from the acid.

What is the definition of an acid?

An acid is a chemical substance that donates protons or hydrogen ions in a chemical reaction. This reaction typically leads to the formation of a conjugate base and the release of energy.

Why do acids like HCl donate protons?

Acids like HCl donate protons because they have a low pH, meaning they are highly concentrated with hydrogen ions. This makes them unstable and eager to donate a proton to another molecule in order to reach a more stable state.

What is the role of protons in acid-base reactions?

Protons play a crucial role in acid-base reactions because they are responsible for the transfer of positive charge from one molecule to another. This transfer of protons is what causes the characteristic properties of acids, such as their sour taste and ability to corrode certain substances.

What is a conjugate base?

A conjugate base is the species that remains after an acid has donated a proton. It is formed when the acid loses a hydrogen ion and gains a negative charge. In the case of HCl, the conjugate base is Cl-.

How do acids differ from bases?

Acids and bases differ in their chemical properties and behavior. Acids donate protons, have a sour taste, and can corrode certain substances. Bases, on the other hand, accept protons, have a bitter taste, and can feel slippery to the touch. They also have different pH levels, with acids having a pH less than 7 and bases having a pH greater than 7.