Why removing and replacing remote battery makes it work?

In summary: So rotating them will remove some of the corrosion and the remote will work again.In summary, when a TV remote stops working, removing and replacing the battery or rotating it can sometimes fix the issue. This could be due to dirty contacts or a low battery charge. Some remotes, like the Logitech Harmony, require constant power for their non-volatile memory and advanced features. Rotating or changing the batteries can also help in prolonging the life of the remote by reducing the resistance at the contacts.
UMath1
Sometimes when my TV remote doesn't work, I've tried removing the battery and replacing it (the same battery), and it works again. How does this work?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dirty contacts.

Likes parshyaa, Tom.G, Nidum and 1 other person
It is like CTRL-ALT-DEL. All software controlled devices seem to need that every so often. :wink:

Likes Tom.G
If the battery is almost flat the heat from your hand can sometimes be enough to kick start the battery chemistry raising the voltage enough to make it work again...but not for very long.

anorlunda said:
It is like CTRL-ALT-DEL. All software controlled devices seem to need that every so often. :wink:
Except that the remote is OFF when no button is being pressed. Each time you press a button, you are turning it on.

Likes davenn
I've had this happen many times. Don't even need to remove the batteries, just rotate them slightly.

Likes davenn
sophiecentaur said:
Except that the remote is OFF when no button is being pressed. Each time you press a button, you are turning it on.
We would have to know what kind of remote to be sure about that. My Logitech Harmony remote is computer driven and gos to sleep after a few seconds if no button is pressed, but only reboots if you take out the batteries (or drop it on the floor :mad: ). I expect most modern smart remotes are the same in that regard otherwise they wouldn't be able to remember what your entertainment center is doing.

So yeah, it could be a lock-up/malfunction.

phinds said:
just rotate them slightly.
You use that trick, too?

russ_watters said:
We would have to know what kind of remote to be sure about that. My Logitech Harmony remote is computer driven and gos to sleep after a few seconds if no button is pressed, but only reboots if you take out the batteries (or drop it on the floor :mad: ). I expect most modern smart remotes are the same in that regard otherwise they wouldn't be able to remember what your entertainment center is doing.

So yeah, it could be a lock-up/malfunction.
Interesting. I've never come across that. I thought all the intelligence lay within the 'playout' units. I wonder what your remote has to do that requires constant power. I seems like it could benefit from a charging dock. Is it a Bluetooth system? That could explain it.

sophiecentaur said:
Interesting. I've never come across that. I thought all the intelligence lay within the 'playout' units. I wonder what your remote has to do that requires constant power.
I'm not sure it requires constant power, but it does require non-volatile memory and intelligence beyond a normal remote. It remembers the state/mode/input every device is in so it can execute sequences of commands with one button press. For example, when I hit the "watch TV" button, it turns on my TV, DVD player/receiver (in HDMI pass-through mode) and cable box. Then if i hit "watch a movie", it remembers that previous state and takes the appropriate actions: it turns the cable box off, changes the DVD player mode to "dvd" and doesn't touch the TV.

It also has motion sensors on it so it comes alive as soon as I pick it up (it lights up), which is nice in a dark room.
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/harmony-remote-650
I seems like it could benefit from a charging dock. Is it a Bluetooth system? That could explain it.
No, it's a normal IR "smart" remote. The battery life is surprisingly good.

Last edited:
The battery will reach a state where it fails because the voltage supplied to the electronics is just a fraction too low for it to work. The battery contacts will have a resistance, albeit incredibly low, but enough to cause a minute voltage drop. Rotating the batteries will reduce that resistance by effectively cleaning the contacts of oxides or minute amounts of corrosion, the result being that the voltage drop is lower at the contacts and presents a higher voltage to the electronics... enough for it to come back to life.
Just to add that most remotes will still consume power even when a button is not pressed; a very , very small current- but enough to discharge a battery over a few years in a very basic remote. Ever taken batteries out of an old remote and found them dead - or even leaking, yet batteries left in a drawer will almost certainly be ok.

Had that problem with Vizio remote that would stop controlling TV, but the buttons still lit up so the batteries were fine. Customer Service said it was a malfunctioning chip in the remote. Removing and replacing batteries caused a reboot and it would work for a while before locking up again. They sent a new remote under warranty.

Last edited:
I remember this was happening to me back at the 80s where the remote was certainly not smart. Plug in and out the batteries or rotating them worked fine for a period of time (like 1 week at most). Replacing batteries with new ones solved the problem completely.

Likes DavidStaples
I seem to remember that contacts need a certain amount of current in order to keep them clean. So if the remote does not draw any current when not used, the contacts will corrode.

Likes sophiecentaur

1. Why does removing and replacing the remote battery sometimes fix a malfunctioning remote?

When a remote is not functioning properly, it could be due to a weak or dead battery. By removing and replacing the battery, you are essentially resetting the remote and providing it with a fresh source of power. This can often fix any issues with the remote not working.

2. Can simply taking out the battery and putting it back in really make a difference?

Yes, removing and replacing the battery can make a significant difference in the functionality of a remote. This is because the battery is the main source of power for the remote and if it is weak or dead, the remote will not work properly. By replacing the battery, you are giving the remote a fresh power source.

3. How does removing the battery reset the remote?

When a battery is removed from an electronic device, it breaks the circuit and cuts off the power supply. When the battery is replaced, it reconnects the circuit and provides a fresh source of power. This essentially resets the device, including the remote, and can fix any issues that may have been caused by a weak or dead battery.

4. Is there a specific way to remove and replace the remote battery?

The process of removing and replacing the remote battery may vary depending on the type of remote. However, in most cases, there will be a compartment on the back of the remote that can be opened to access the battery. The battery can then be removed and replaced with a new one. It is important to make sure you are using the correct type of battery for your remote.

5. What should I do if removing and replacing the battery does not fix the issue with my remote?

If removing and replacing the battery does not fix the problem with your remote, there may be another underlying issue. It is possible that the remote itself is malfunctioning and may need to be replaced. If the issue persists, it is best to consult with a professional or contact the manufacturer for further assistance.