Why rocket altitude does not increase proportionally?

In summary, rocket altitude does not increase proportionally with time due to forces such as air resistance and gravitational pull acting on the rocket. Other factors like weight, engine efficiency, and atmospheric conditions can also contribute to the lack of proportional increase. The rocket's trajectory can also affect its altitude, with a straight path resulting in a more proportional increase and a curved path causing variations. Different rocket designs can also impact the proportional increase depending on their aerodynamics, weight, and engine efficiency. There is a limit to how high a rocket can go due to the decrease in air resistance and increase in gravitational pull, resulting in a maximum altitude where the rocket's acceleration becomes zero.
Starnair
Homework Statement
1. Why rocket altitude does not increase proportionally with the amount of rubber band stretch? Provide an explanation for the lack of direct correlation.
I'm not sure that I am doing in right way, and cannot understand why k value is decreasing as rubber band stretches because I thought k value never changes.
Relevant Equations
Es=Eg
Photo includes this.
I thought it is because of the consevation of the energy, so I used (gravitational potential energy at the top = elastic potential energy). Since the mass of the rocket never changes, I supposed mass= 1kg, and k value is unknown. As a result, I got the result that k value is decreasing as ruvber band stretches.

Attachments

• 15600881792087086667835959235450.jpg
    15600881792087086667835959235450.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 216
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think your attachment would be legible even if you had NOT posted it sideways. You should fix both of those issues and re-post it.

1. Why does rocket altitude not increase proportionally with time?

This is due to the effects of gravity and air resistance. As the rocket travels higher, the force of gravity pulling it back towards Earth increases, while the air resistance also increases and acts against the upward force of the rocket's engines. This results in a decrease in the acceleration of the rocket and therefore a slower increase in altitude over time.

2. What factors affect the rate of increase in rocket altitude?

Aside from gravity and air resistance, the main factors that affect the rate of increase in rocket altitude include the power and efficiency of the rocket's engines, the weight and shape of the rocket, and the density and composition of the atmosphere through which it is traveling.

3. Can a rocket's altitude ever increase proportionally with time?

Yes, in theory, a rocket could increase its altitude proportionally with time if it were able to overcome the effects of gravity and air resistance completely. This would require an infinitely powerful and efficient engine, a perfectly streamlined and lightweight rocket, and an atmosphere with no resistance. However, in reality, these conditions are impossible to achieve.

4. Does the shape of a rocket affect its altitude?

Yes, the shape of a rocket does affect its altitude. A streamlined and aerodynamic shape will experience less air resistance and therefore be able to travel higher and faster than a bulky or irregularly shaped rocket. The shape can also affect the stability and control of the rocket, which can impact its ability to maintain a steady ascent and reach higher altitudes.

5. Why do rockets typically have a curved flight path rather than a straight line to increase altitude?

This curved flight path, known as a parabolic trajectory, is the most efficient way for a rocket to reach higher altitudes. By launching at an angle, the rocket can use the Earth's rotation to gain speed and conserve fuel, as well as gradually overcome the effects of gravity and air resistance. Going straight up would require significantly more fuel and would not result in a significant increase in altitude.