Why there is a negative sign in the formula of calculating work done?

In summary, the formula for work, which includes the applied force and the displacement, has a negative sign because it is equal and opposite to the electric force on the particle. This equation can be found in various physics books and the sign depends on the coordinate system and the perspective of who is doing the work.
Hawkingo
$$W = - \int _ { a } ^ { b } \vec { F } \cdot d \vec { r }$$
( The Force here is referring to the applied force, When moving a positive charge towards another positive charge(stationary) / field

In this formula why there is a negative sign in the formula? I am not asking the sign of the total workdone at the end of the calculation, but the sign in the formula that is before calculation. from where the sign comes from?does it have anything to do with the co-ordinate system,if yes then can the sign be changed if we take a different quadrant?.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mmm... where did you get that equation?

Gaussian97 said:
Mmm... where did you get that equation?
It is in most of the physics books like The Feynman lectures on physics vol. 2,Electricity and Magnetism by Edward M Purcell etc..

Hawkingo said:
Ok, so this equation is the work done by what force? And from what point to what point?

Hawkingo said:
( The Force here is referring to the applied force, When moving a positive charge towards another positive charge(stationary) / field

In this formula why there is a negative sign in the formula? I am not asking the sign of the total workdone at the end of the calculation, but the sign in the formula that is before calculation. from where the sign comes from?does it have anything to do with the co-ordinate system,if yes then can the sign be changed if we take a different quadrant?.
In Feynman's version, that F refers to the electric force on the particle, not the applied force. The applied force is the negative of that, thus the minus sign.

(Feynman is calculating the work done against the electrical forces: the work done by the applied force.)

• Informative
Likes Hawkingo
Hawkingo said:
from where the sign comes from?
The sign comes from the definition of what force is F and which system is doing the work. Just pay attention to which force is being calculated and which object is doing the work and then usually the sign should be obvious. Sometimes the F is from a different source than the W is calculated for.

Gaussian97 said:
Ok, so this equation is the work done by what force? And from what point to what point?
Work done by the applied force from point b to a

Last edited:
It also may involve who or what is doing the work, or on whom or on what the work is being applied.

For example if you slowly push a positive charge toward another positive charge, then the work you do is positive since you are doing the work. This is because the force that you are applying is in the same direction as the displacement.

On the other hand, from the perspective of the positive charge, the work that it does on you is negative, since its equal and opposite force is in the opposite direction of the displacement.

[Edit: similarly, if you were to hold onto a positive charge and slowly move away from another positive charge, the work that you do is negative. The force that you are applying is in the opposite direction of displacement.]

Doc Al said:
In Feynman's version, that F refers to the electric force on the particle, not the applied force. The applied force is the negative of that, thus the minus sign.

(Feynman is calculating the work done against the electrical forces: the work done by the applied force.)
But why the applied force has to be negative? I know it is equal and opposite, but, for example, consider the source charge is at the origin of a 2d coordinate system and the other positive charge is coming from the q3 quadrant (where both x and y have negative values), then in this case the electrical force would be negative and the applied force would be positive. So does the equation depend upon the coordinate system?

Hawkingo said:
Work done by the applied force from point a to b
Then the equation is wrong.

Hawkingo said:
But why the applied force has to be negative?
The applied force is opposite to the electrical force, which is ##\vec{F}##. So the applied force equals ##-\vec{F}##. (That doesn't mean it's 'negative' -- that depends on your coordinate system.)

Likes Hawkingo
Gaussian97 said:
Then the equation is wrong.
SORRY, From b to a, I accidentally replaced the limits with each other in my reply.

Hawkingo said:
But why the applied force has to be negative? I know it is equal and opposite, but, for example, consider the source charge is at the origin of a 2d coordinate system and the other positive charge is coming from the q3 quadrant (where both x and y have negative values), then in this case the electrical force would be negative and the applied force would be positive. So does the equation depend upon the coordinate system?
The work done by a force from a point ##a## to a point ##b## (if the force is conservative) is, by definition $$\int_{a}^{b}\vec{F}\cdot\text{d}\vec{r}$$ (where ##\vec{F}## refers to the applied force. So, the force you need to apply is equal and opposite to the force that is doing the other particle, then the applied force is ##-\vec{F_{e}}## (now ##\vec{F_e}## is the force done by the electric charge) and you have the - you want.

It doesn't make sense to talk about "positive" and "negative" forces, forces are vectors, not numbers.

Hawkingo said:
SORRY, From b to a, I accidentally replaced the limits with each other in my reply.
Then the ##-## comes from the fact that $$\int_{a}^{b}=-\int_{b}^{a}$$

Gaussian97 said:
The work done by a force from a point ##a## to a point ##b## (if the force is conservative) is, by definition $$\int_{a}^{b}\vec{F}\cdot\text{d}\vec{r}$$ (where ##\vec{F}## refers to the applied force. So, the force you need to apply is equal and opposite to the force that is doing the other particle, then the applied force is ##-\vec{F_{e}}## (now ##\vec{F_e}## is the force done by the electric charge) and you have the - you want.

It doesn't make sense to talk about "positive" and "negative" forces, forces are vectors, not numbers.
So you are saying that vectors can't be negative or positive? But I got your answer, Thanks.

Hawkingo said:
So you are saying that vectors can't be negative or positive?
Exact, in general, you cannot say that one vector is bigger or smaller than another.

Gaussian97 said:
Exact, in general, you cannot say that one vector is bigger or smaller than another.
I'm not saying that, I was just projecting the vectors in a coordinate system

Doc Al said:
The applied force is opposite to the electrical force, which is ##\vec{F}##. So the applied force equals ##-\vec{F}##. (That doesn't mean it's 'negative' -- that depends on your coordinate system.)
Thanks. I got your answer to my originally asked question. I have another doubt which is does the signs of vectors depend on the coordinate system like the case I stated above.

Hawkingo said:
Thanks. I got your answer to my originally asked question. I have another doubt which is does the signs of vectors depend on the coordinate system like the case I stated above.
Vectors don't depend on what coordinate system you choose.

Likes Hawkingo
Hawkingo said:
It only makes sense to say a vector's component along some axis is negative, not the vector itself. And sure, the sign of a component depends upon the coordinate system used.

Likes Hawkingo
Doc Al said:
It only makes sense to say a vector's component along some axis is negative, not the vector itself. And sure, the sign of a component depends upon the coordinate system used.
Got it. That solved my problem.

1. Why is there a negative sign in the formula for calculating work done?

The negative sign in the formula for work done is used to indicate the direction of the force and the displacement. If the force and displacement are in opposite directions, the work done will be negative, indicating that energy is being taken away from the system. This is often the case when work is done against friction or gravity.

2. Can the negative sign be ignored in the work done formula?

No, the negative sign cannot be ignored as it is an important factor in determining the direction and magnitude of work done. Ignoring the negative sign can lead to incorrect calculations and interpretations of the results.

3. How does the negative sign affect the value of work done?

The negative sign can change the value of work done depending on the direction of the force and displacement. If the force and displacement are in the same direction, the work done will be positive, indicating that energy is being added to the system. However, if they are in opposite directions, the work done will be negative, indicating that energy is being taken away from the system.

4. Is the negative sign always used in the work done formula?

No, the negative sign is not always used in the work done formula. It is only used when the force and displacement are in opposite directions. If they are in the same direction, the work done will be positive and the negative sign is not necessary.

5. Can the negative sign in the work done formula be replaced with a positive sign?

No, the negative sign cannot be replaced with a positive sign as it serves an important purpose in indicating the direction of work done. Replacing it with a positive sign would result in incorrect calculations and interpretations of the results.