Why things do not stop immediately?

• I
  • Thread starter parshyaa
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the question of why things do not stop immediately when a retarding force is applied to a moving ball. It is explained that in order to stop something immediately, infinite force would be needed, which is impossible. The use of math and Newton's First Law of Motion is also mentioned in the discussion. It is also noted that in certain situations, such as catching a fast ball, using a longer deceleration time can reduce the force and potential damage.
parshyaa
Why things do not stops immediately when a retarding force is applied on a moving ball.
  • I know this is a foolish question but I have tried to give the answer
  • my attempt : suppose I have applied force on a moving ball(its moving on a non frictional plane) and I want to stop it immediately means at a time = 0.
  • F = m.a(this is a retarding force applied on ball and 'a' is the constant deaccelaration due to force on a ball )
  • a = dv/dt , adt = dv , suppose initial velocity of a ball is 0.
  • ∫a dt = ∫dv , lower limit and uppar limit for velocity is 0 and v and for time 0 and t
  • Therefore v = at , to get immediate stop, t =0 , in that case a = ∞ , and F = ma , ∴F = ∞ , but it is impossible to apply infinite force. Therefore it is impossible to stop things immediately.
  • What's your answer or opinion

Physics news on Phys.org
Your reasoning looks correct. Average acceleration is change in velocity divided by time. So to change velocity by a nonzero amount in zero time would require infinite negative acceleration, which would require infinite force.

If you watch slow-motion footage of a cricketer or baseballer catching a fast ball, you'll see they let their hand(s) move backwards a little way after making contact. That increases the deceleration time, thereby reducing the force, thereby reducing the likelihood of the ball bouncing out of their hands (as well as lessening the potential damage to their hands).

Thanks andrewkirk for fielders example.

Why bother with the math? You should be able to just state Newton's First Law of motion.

russ_watters said:
Why bother with the math? You should be able to just state Newton's First Law of motion.
Yes you are right but maths makes everything more clearer

parshyaa said:
Yes you are right but maths makes everything more clearer
If you say so...let me know if your teacher agrees.

russ_watters said:
If you say so...let me know if your teacher agrees.
Hee hee , what's wrong in this answer , this question was mine and I will not showiy to my teacher. ^_^ ^_^

parshyaa said:
  • a = dv/dt , adt = dv , suppose initial velocity of a ball is 0.
So you want to "stop" a ball with zero initial velocity?
You can do this instantaneously. :smile:

Likes bsheikho
nasgot itpost: 5565525 said:
So you want to "stop" a ball with zero initial velocity?
You can do this instantaneously. :smile:
Hey nasu u got it , I was thinking of editing , ball was moving with constant velocity v and limit should be from v to 0 . And equation will be at = -v , a = -(v/t) it is negative because retarding force was applied ,

1. Why don't moving objects stop as soon as we stop applying force?

Objects in motion will continue to stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force. This is known as Newton's First Law of Motion. This means that even if we stop applying force, there are still other forces such as friction or air resistance that act upon the object and cause it to slow down gradually.

2. Why do objects in motion eventually stop?

As mentioned before, objects in motion experience external forces such as friction and air resistance that act in the opposite direction of the motion. These forces gradually decrease the speed of the object until it comes to a complete stop.

3. Why do some objects take longer to stop than others?

The time it takes for an object to stop depends on several factors such as its mass, shape, and the surface it is moving on. Heavier objects have more inertia, meaning they resist changes in motion, and therefore take longer to stop. Objects with a streamlined shape experience less air resistance and may take longer to slow down. Rougher surfaces also create more friction, causing objects to stop quicker.

4. Can an object ever truly stop moving?

No, according to the laws of physics, an object can never truly stop moving. Even if an object appears to be at rest, it is still moving at a microscopic level due to molecular vibrations. This is known as Brownian motion and is a result of thermal energy within the object.

5. How can we make objects stop faster?

To make an object stop faster, we can decrease the external forces acting upon it. For example, we can reduce air resistance by making the object more streamlined. We can also decrease friction by using smoother surfaces or adding lubrication. Additionally, we can apply a greater opposing force, such as using brakes on a moving vehicle, to slow down the object faster.