Why ultimate load is less than yield load?

In summary, when you do nonlinear analysis of a beam, you'll need to know the length, width, and height of the beam, as well as the yield stress and poison ratio of the material. You'll also need to calculate the maximum bending stress at the outer fibers of the beam. Finally, you'll need to find the load at which the bending stress in the outer fiber of the beam reaches the yield stress of the material.
FK123
i have made a beam with both ends fixed. when I apply load at center then the ultimate load will be 8Mp/L=8fyz/L which came to be 440KN

My question is how to calculate the load at which beam starts yielding?

I have used E=200000N/mm2 and initial yield strength=220N/mm2

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
FK123 said:
i have made a beam with both ends fixed. when I apply load at center then the ultimate load will be 8Mp/L=8fyz/L which came to be 440KN

My question is how to calculate the load at which beam starts yielding?

I have used E=200000N/mm2 and initial yield strength=220N/mm2
We'll need a lot more information than you've given us to figure out what you've done.

First, tell us the length of the beam.

Second, tell us what you mean when you write "8Mp/L=8fyz/L". About all I can guess is that L = length of the beam. Everything else, who knows?

For a fixed-fixed beam with a central load P, the max. bending moment is MMAX = PL / 8, which occurs at the ends of the beam and in the center.

beam.h48.jpg
beam.h47.gif

While the bending stress remains below the yield stress, then the bending stress σ is calculated by

σ = M y / I,

where M = bending moment,
y = distance from the neutral axis of the beam
I = second moment of area of the beam cross section.

shear stress τ is calculated by

τ = VQ / (I * t)

where V = shear force,
I = second moment of area of the beam cross section (same value used above)
Q = first moment of area
t = span of the cross section in way of the shear stress location.

As you can see, you need to know something about the beam cross section in order to calculate the stresses created when the beam is loaded.

Because of the nature in which a fixed-fixed beam is supported, there will be additional shear stresses created at the locations where the maximum bending moment occurs, so these shear stresses must be calculated and combined with the bending stress to give the proper stress value at those locations, so that one can determine the load at which yielding of the material in the beam occurs.

Once the stress in the outer fibers of beam exceeds the yield stress of the material, the formula above no longer applies and a plastic analysis must be performed.

Thankyou
Length of beam=1000mm Width of beam=100mm height of beam=100mm
Ultimate load = 8* Plastic Moment/ length
where Plastic moment = Yield stress * plastic section modulus

I was supposed to do non linear analysis of beam. so i have used the von mises model to define the beam material property. where E=200000N/mm2 and initial yield strength=220N/mm2 and poison ratio=0.28
my professor told me to calculate manually the load at which plastic hinge will be created and the load at which material starts yielding. Therefore i have used Ultimate load = 8* Plastic Moment/ length to calculate load at which plastic hinge created.

But i didnt know how to calculate load at yield?

FK123 said:
Thankyou
Length of beam=1000mm Width of beam=100mm height of beam=100mm
Ultimate load = 8* Plastic Moment/ length
where Plastic moment = Yield stress * plastic section modulus

I was supposed to do non linear analysis of beam. so i have used the von mises model to define the beam material property. where E=200000N/mm2 and initial yield strength=220N/mm2 and poison ratio=0.28
my professor told me to calculate manually the load at which plastic hinge will be created and the load at which material starts yielding. Therefore i have used Ultimate load = 8* Plastic Moment/ length to calculate load at which plastic hinge created.

But i didnt know how to calculate load at yield?
Finding the load at yield is simple. When the beam bends elastically, the outer fibers see the highest bending stresses. Find the load P such that the bending stress in the outer fiber of the beam reaches the yield stress of the material.

Assuming that the cross section of this beam is rectangular, the maximum bending stress at the outer fibers will be

σ = M y / I = 220 N/mm2, where y = depth of the beam / 2 and I = bh3/12. Solve for M, which is also M = P*L/8.

thankyou

I have calculated the load at plastic hinge i.e 440KN
and the load at yield is 293.3KN

when i do nonlinear analysis it shows the maximum load of 306KN. why does not the software runs till 440KN since 440 is ultimate load where plastic hinge will be created? the graph below shows the maximum load 306KK. the graph is betwen load and displacement
upload_2015-7-7_13-55-8.png

Related to Why ultimate load is less than yield load?

1. Why does the ultimate load differ from the yield load?

The ultimate load is the maximum amount of stress that a material can withstand before it fails, while the yield load is the point at which a material begins to permanently deform. This means that the ultimate load is higher than the yield load because the material can still hold more stress before breaking.

2. How is the ultimate load determined?

The ultimate load is determined through testing, where a material is subjected to increasing amounts of stress until it reaches its breaking point. The highest stress that the material can withstand before failure is recorded as the ultimate load.

3. Why is it important to know the ultimate load of a material?

Knowing the ultimate load of a material is important in engineering and construction, as it helps determine the maximum amount of stress that a structure or component can withstand. This information is crucial in ensuring the safety and reliability of structures and products.

4. Can the ultimate load be increased?

The ultimate load of a material is determined by its physical properties and cannot be changed. However, the ultimate load can be increased by using a different material with higher strength or by reinforcing the material with additional support.

5. Is it possible for the ultimate load to be higher than the yield load?

No, the ultimate load is always lower than the yield load. This is because once a material reaches its yield point, it begins to permanently deform and cannot hold any more stress. The ultimate load is the maximum stress that a material can withstand before it breaks, so it cannot be higher than the yield load.