WiFi Signal Strength and Computer Orientation

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of WiFi signal strength and its dependence on antenna orientation. It is mentioned that most computers have a single WiFi antenna in a particular orientation, but the signal strength seems to be unaffected by the orientation. The possible reasons for this include multiple radio receivers or transmitters, and the presence of walls or other objects. It is also noted that there are more complicated antenna designs available that can improve signal strength, such as those used in IEEE 802.11n.
Natanijel
Hello everybody :)

This is my first post! I have a mystery about radio communication that I was wondering about for a long time:

If I have understood correctly, most computers have a single WiFi antenna in the shape of a rod, which is placed in a particular orientation. My question is this: why does the WiFi signal strength seem to be unaffected by the orientation of the antenna even though the voltage induced will depend on the direction and polarisation of the WiFi radio waves? For example, my laptop (as far as I know) has a single antenna in the plane of the keyboard, and if I rotate my computer through many angles, my signal strength is unaltered.

Could it be that there are multiple (maybe 3) radio receivers that are positioned perpendicular to each other for optimum radio wave capture? Or maybe the router has 3 perpendicular transmitters?

Thanks a lot for your help!
Nat :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Signal strength does depend on the orientation, but the difference is small compared to other issues like walls.

Likes Natanijel
mfb said:
Signal strength does depend on the orientation, but the difference is small compared to other issues like walls.
Thanks for the reply :)

Likes mfb
mfb said:

there is a huge difference in signal strength dependent on antenna orientation, the difference between horizontal and vertical polarisation is around 25 - 30 dB

Over the short distances that WiFi is used, several 10's of metres, it is as mfb said, not too much of an issue due to all the reflections of other objects
Over longer distances kilometres ++ it makes a major difference and matched antenna orientation is a must

Dave

PS ... nice to see you return after many months with a response :smile:
so many never bother to ever come back with a thanks
hope to see more of you on the Physics Forums :smile:

davenn said:
there is a huge difference in signal strength dependent on antenna orientation, the difference between horizontal and vertical polarisation is around 25 - 30 dB
That may be true for some sort of dipole, but I believe there are other more complicated antenna designs available that can get closer to an ideal isotropic radiator, something I would guess computer manufacturers may take advantage of.

davenn said:
One of the features of IEEE 802.11n is the optional use of multiple antennas in order to get a better signal strength.

Likes Natanijel

1. What factors affect WiFi signal strength?

The strength of a WiFi signal can be affected by a variety of factors, including distance from the router, physical barriers (such as walls or furniture), interference from other electronic devices, and the type of router and device being used.

2. How does the orientation of a computer affect WiFi signal strength?

The orientation of a computer can have a significant impact on WiFi signal strength. This is because antennas in both the router and computer are designed to transmit and receive signals in specific directions. For optimal signal strength, it is recommended to position the antennas of the router and computer in a parallel or perpendicular orientation.

3. Can walls or other physical barriers weaken WiFi signal strength?

Yes, walls and other physical barriers can weaken WiFi signal strength. This is because WiFi signals can be blocked or absorbed by certain materials, such as concrete or metal. The more walls or barriers between the router and device, the weaker the signal may be.

4. How can I improve my WiFi signal strength?

There are several ways to improve WiFi signal strength, including moving closer to the router, minimizing physical barriers, and using a WiFi repeater or range extender. You can also try adjusting the position and orientation of the router and device antennas, or upgrading to a higher quality router with better signal strength.

5. Does the type of router or device affect WiFi signal strength?

Yes, the type and quality of both the router and device can impact WiFi signal strength. Higher-end routers and devices often have stronger antennas and better signal processing capabilities, resulting in better signal strength. It is also important to ensure that your router and device are compatible with the same WiFi standards (such as 802.11n or 802.11ac) for optimal performance.