Who Will Fill the Vacant Supreme Court Seat?

• News
  • Thread starter loseyourname
  • Start date
In summary: I agree about concern regarding lack of direct experience on the Supreme Court. However, it would likely be a wash, and the other justices all seem to like Roberts so I'm not too concerned about this switch. And since O'Connor has agreed to stay until there is a replacement, at least this way there isn't a vacancy during the nomination process. We'll see what comes up now, but what ever it is, it will be under far more scrutiny. People will want a moderate, preferably a woman/minority. Bush's ratings are quite low, so hopefully he won't have his usual God complex toward the other side of the aisle.
loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
No link is necessary. It's all over the place, and the specifics don't matter anyway. Something gives me the feeling that this will be far more controversy stirring than the Roberts appointment.

Aside from the first Supreme Court, have two justices ever been appoined at the same time?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, this is probably going to be a **** storm.

loseyourname said:
No link is necessary. It's all over the place, and the specifics don't matter anyway. Something gives me the feeling that this will be far more controversy stirring than the Roberts appointment.

Aside from the first Supreme Court, have two justices ever been appoined at the same time?
I don't know. I am still trying to cope with the thought of "Chief Justice Scalia"

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I am sad for his family, and worried for the nation. :frown:

TheStatutoryApe said:
Yeah, this is probably going to be a **** storm.
The fact that the nation has to feel this way about upcoming Supreme Court appointments is sad. I used the example of Clinton and Hatch agreeing to a candidate in advance and how the nomination went smoothly. If Bush really wanted to, he could appoint judges to everyone's satisfaction as well as his own. This anxiety and conflict is not necessary. He's just a #@%$*&! divider of our nation. Well he'll go down in history exactly that way (among other things).

SOS2008 said:
The fact that the nation has to feel this way about upcoming Supreme Court appointments is sad. I used the example of Clinton and Hatch agreeing to a candidate in advance and how the nomination went smoothly. If Bush really wanted to, he could appoint judges to everyone's satisfaction as well as his own. This anxiety and conflict is not necessary. He's just a #@%$*&! divider of our nation. Well he'll go down in history exactly that way (among other things).
President Bush on Monday nominated John Roberts to succeed William H. Rehnquist as chief justice and called on the Senate to confirm him before the Supreme Court opens its fall term on Oct. 3. Just 50 years old, Roberts could shape the court for decades to come.
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/05/D8CE5A681.html .....

Last edited by a moderator:
Art said:
I think I would rather have Scalia. At least he has some experience as a judge.

Art said:
Yeh, I was just reading about this:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9215790/

I agree about concern regarding lack of direct experience on the Supreme Court. However, it would likely be a wash, and the other justices all seem to like Roberts so I'm not too concerned about this switch. And since O'Connor has agreed to stay until there is a replacement, at least this way there isn't a vacancy during the nomination process. We'll see what comes up now, but what ever it is, it will be under far more scrutiny. People will want a moderate, preferably a woman/minority. Bush's ratings are quite low, so hopefully he won't have his usual God complex toward the other side of the aisle.

1. Who was William Rehnquist?

William Rehnquist was a prominent American lawyer and jurist who served as the Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court from 1986 to 2005.

2. When did William Rehnquist die?

William Rehnquist passed away on September 3, 2005 at the age of 80.

3. What was the cause of William Rehnquist's death?

The official cause of William Rehnquist's death was complications from thyroid cancer.

4. How did William Rehnquist impact the US Supreme Court?

During his tenure as Chief Justice, William Rehnquist was known for his conservative views and his strict interpretation of the Constitution. He also had a significant impact on expanding states' rights and limiting federal power.

5. What is William Rehnquist's legacy?

William Rehnquist's legacy includes his contribution to shaping the US Supreme Court and his influence on conservative legal philosophy. He is also remembered for his strong leadership and his dedication to the rule of law.