Wind Tunnel Creation +more then 3 speeds

In summary, the speaker is building a wind tunnel to test the lift of an airfoil using different variables. They need more than 3 speeds for a good EEI, but they only have access to 3 speed fans. They are seeking ideas on how to create a continuously-variable speed fan, potentially using PWM drive on a DC electric motor or making their own fan.
Airfoil_111
I am making a wind tunnel to test the lift of an airfoil when chaning the variables of angle of attack and air velocity. For a good EEI I need more then 3 speeds. However, all the people I know only have 3 speed fans, I don't know how to get more speeds as the wind tunnel gets built around the fan. Any ideas??

Physics news on Phys.org
Airfoil_111 said:
I am making a wind tunnel to test the lift of an airfoil when chaning the variables of angle of attack and air velocity. For a good EEI I need more then 3 speeds. However, all the people I know only have 3 speed fans, I don't know how to get more speeds as the wind tunnel gets built around the fan. Any ideas??

You should be able to make a continuously-variable speed fan by using PWM drive on a DC electric motor. What kind of fans do you have to choose from? Can you make your own?

1. How does a wind tunnel work?

A wind tunnel is a specially designed structure that creates a controlled air flow for testing purposes. A powerful fan or compressor is used to circulate air through the tunnel at varying speeds. The test subject, such as an airplane or car model, is placed inside the tunnel and the air flow is adjusted to mimic real-life conditions. This allows scientists to study the effects of wind on the subject and make necessary improvements.

2. What are the benefits of having multiple speeds in a wind tunnel?

Having multiple speeds in a wind tunnel allows for a wider range of testing conditions. This is important because different objects and materials may react differently to various wind speeds. It also allows scientists to simulate real-life scenarios where wind speeds can change rapidly.

3. How is the air flow controlled in a wind tunnel?

The air flow in a wind tunnel is controlled by adjusting the speed of the fan or compressor, as well as the shape and size of the tunnel itself. The tunnel is designed to have a smooth and consistent air flow, and certain features such as turning vanes and screens can be used to further refine the air flow.

4. Is it possible to simulate extreme wind conditions in a wind tunnel?

Yes, it is possible to simulate extreme wind conditions in a wind tunnel. By increasing the speed of the fan or compressor, scientists can create high-speed winds that can replicate hurricane or tornado-like conditions. However, it is important to note that the scale of the test subject may need to be adjusted to accurately reflect the effects of extreme winds.

5. What other factors besides wind speed can be controlled in a wind tunnel?

In addition to wind speed, other factors that can be controlled in a wind tunnel include air density, temperature, and humidity. These variables can greatly affect how an object or material performs in different wind conditions. By manipulating these factors, scientists can better understand the behavior and limitations of their subject.