Exploring Wind Tunnel Data Collection Methods for Physics Coursework

In summary, the wind tunnel experiment was based around a polystyrene wing and gathering data on visibility, turbulence and air speed. The experiment was not successful and the student is looking for suggestions on better ways to gather data.
fixty
I'm nearly at the end of my preliminary testing for a wind tunnel in my A2 physics coursework. My question for my project so far is: "Do different shaped objects exhibit different properties under the influence of high speed air". For my coursework I need to measure or observe something to get a large pool of data for later analysis.

My preliminary experiment has been based around a wind tunnel and gathering as much data as possible. I cut a polystyrene wing out (using a hot wire and a fume cupboard) and made the wind tunnel with lots of help from a science technician at school. I used a smoke machine to see if I could get visible air observations by seeing the amount of air that dissipated on each side and the turbulence nearer the rear by changing the angle of attack for different objects. It didn't provide the best results so I tried blacking out the wind tunnel, pointing directional lights at it from all angles, coning the FOV of the camera to block out glare but to not much avail.

Here's the best video from the preliminaries I got.

I'm looking for some suggestions and ideas for different ways to obtain data from this wind tunnel we've built (I also had ideas for using an anemometer, springs and pressure but am stuck on how to implement these) and how to get better visual representations of the smoke. If anyone could throw some suggestions at me that'd great.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

Maybe put a streamer (colored twine) on the end of a rod, and move the rod around your airfoil to show what the streamlines would look like if your smoke streamline setup were working better... :smile:

I also think I've seen some setups where they glue little short streamers onto various parts of the object in the wind tunnel, to look at the airflow around the object. I searched Google Images for a picture, but no luck so far...

1. What is a wind tunnel measurement?

A wind tunnel measurement is a method used to study the aerodynamic properties of objects by simulating the effects of wind on a scaled model in a controlled environment.

2. How does a wind tunnel work?

A wind tunnel consists of a long, narrow tunnel with a fan or blower at one end to generate air flow. The object being tested is placed in the tunnel and the air flow is controlled to simulate different wind speeds and directions.

3. What types of data can be collected from wind tunnel measurements?

Wind tunnel measurements can provide data on the forces and pressures exerted on the object, as well as its lift, drag, and other aerodynamic properties. This data can be used to optimize designs and improve performance.

4. What are the advantages of using wind tunnel measurements?

Wind tunnel measurements allow for controlled and repeatable experiments, providing accurate and precise data. It also allows for testing in a safe and controlled environment, without the need for full-scale prototypes.

5. What are the limitations of wind tunnel measurements?

Wind tunnel measurements can only simulate certain wind conditions, and the results may not always accurately reflect real-world conditions. Additionally, wind tunnel testing can be expensive and time-consuming.