Calculating Power Input for Wind Turbine Shaft with Continuous Force

In summary, the question is how to determine the power input into a shaft with a continuous force of 3,720 pounds one foot out from the shaft center. The potential solution is to use the formula P = T N / 5252, where P is the power output in HP, T is the torque in lb-ft, and N is the shaft speed in RPM. However, there is confusion over the use of imperial units and the specific setup of a 2 foot pulley on the shaft.
Tim Gard

Homework Statement

I am trying to determine the input I will have on a shaft with a continuous force of 3,720 pounds one foot out from the shaft center.

I am thinking the input continuous torque would be 1 foot being that I am using a 2 foot pulley on the shaft, and I have a continuous 3,720 pound pull on this pulley ;

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1 foot times 3720 pounds equals 3720 foot pounds.
How do I compute the power input into this? Is it simply converting 3720 foot pounds over a given time element? What time basis is used in wind turbine calcs?

Physics news on Phys.org
What horrible units!
Please tell me you don't actually have to do assignments in imperial!

Please explain what you mean by the 2 foot pully. Is there a belt that moves within the trunk?

Do you mean a lever?

Now that you have the torque, you need to find out the rotational speed of the shaft in order to calculate power.

two RPM

The formula for calculating horsepower is P = T N / 5252, where P is the power output in HP, T is the torque in lb-ft, and N is the shaft speed in RPM. 1 HP = 33000 ft-lb/min and 5252 = 33000 / (2 pi).

1. What factors are considered when calculating the input for a wind turbine?

When calculating the input for a wind turbine, factors such as wind speed, air density, turbine efficiency, blade length, and altitude are taken into account. These factors can vary depending on the specific location and design of the wind turbine.

2. How is the wind speed measured for input calculations?

Wind speed is typically measured using an anemometer, which is a device that measures the speed and direction of wind. This information is then used in the input calculation for the wind turbine.

3. What is the role of air density in wind turbine input calculations?

Air density is an important factor in wind turbine input calculations because it affects the amount of energy that can be extracted from the wind. Higher air density means there is more mass of air passing through the turbine, which results in higher power output.

4. How does altitude affect wind turbine input calculations?

Altitude plays a role in wind turbine input calculations because as altitude increases, the air density decreases. This means that wind turbines at higher altitudes will have a lower power output compared to turbines at lower altitudes.

5. What is the efficiency of a wind turbine and how is it determined?

The efficiency of a wind turbine is the ratio of the power output to the power input. It is typically determined by measuring the wind speed and power output over a period of time and then calculating the efficiency using the input and output data. The efficiency can also be affected by factors such as blade design and maintenance of the turbine.