Wire Attracts Loop - Electromagnetic Unit

In summary, the problem involves a rectangular loop of wire placed next to a straight wire with current I in both. The dimensions of the loop are given as a, b = 2.2a, and c = 8a. The task is to find the magnitude of the force on the loop, expressed in terms of I, a, and μ0. The solution involves using the equation B = (μ0 * I)/(2pi*d) and considering the two forces acting on the loop in opposite directions. The final equation is F = I * mu0 I / 2 pi a * 2.2a, where b = 2.2a is the length from the figure.
Angie K.

Homework Statement

A rectangular loop of wire is placed next to a straight wire, as shown above. There is a current I in both the straight wire and the loop. The dimensions shown in the figure are a, b = 2.2a, and c = 8a. What is the magnitude of the force on the loop? Express your answer in terms of I, a, and μ0.

Homework Equations

B = (μ0 * I)/(2pi*d)

The Attempt at a Solution

Wouldn't I just use the equation from above and just use the value for b as the distance (d) ?

What is different in this problem that would require the equation to be different

Physics news on Phys.org
where is the figure?

AdityaDev said:
where is the figure?

HW15_1.jpg

Sorry, I forgot to put the figure up. Here it is!

So another attempt at this solution is:

F = I B L

where B = mu0 I / 2 pi a where a is the distance between the wires

so the final equation:

F = I * mu0 I / 2 pi a * 2.2a

where b = 2.2a is the length from the figure

There are two forces on the loop: one in one direction, the other in the other. So you need 2 equations. Figure out the net force on the loop.

Likes AdityaDev
what are the forces which act on each segment of loop? are these forces balanced?

1. What is a wire attracts loop electromagnetic unit?

A wire attracts loop electromagnetic unit is a device that utilizes an electromagnetic field to attract loops of wire, creating movement or rotation. It consists of a wire, usually made of copper, and a power source, such as a battery, that creates an electric current through the wire.

2. How does a wire attracts loop electromagnetic unit work?

A wire attracts loop electromagnetic unit works by creating a magnetic field through an electric current passing through a wire. The magnetic field attracts the loops of wire, causing them to move or rotate.

3. What are the applications of a wire attracts loop electromagnetic unit?

A wire attracts loop electromagnetic unit has a variety of applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and speakers. It is also used in certain medical devices, such as MRI machines.

4. Can a wire attracts loop electromagnetic unit be controlled?

Yes, a wire attracts loop electromagnetic unit can be controlled by adjusting the strength of the electric current passing through the wire. This can be done through a variety of means, such as using a variable resistor or a control circuit.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using a wire attracts loop electromagnetic unit?

Yes, there are some safety concerns when using a wire attracts loop electromagnetic unit. Excessive electric currents can cause the wire to overheat and potentially cause a fire. It is important to use caution and follow proper safety protocols when working with this type of device.