Wire Gauges: Explaining Sizes & Electric Current Capacity

In summary, wire gauge is a measurement of the diameter of a wire, with a smaller gauge indicating a larger diameter. This is important because larger wires have a higher current carrying capacity and are less likely to overheat and cause a fire. The recommended wire gauge for powering something that requires 100 watts depends on factors such as power loss and heating, and can vary for different types of wiring. Chassis wiring refers to the wiring used in the frame or structure of an electrical device.
johnbrown11
Hello,

Can anyone explain to me what wire guages are? It just says its a measurement of how large a wire is and how much electric current in can safley handle. Can anyone give more insight? Also, if I want to power something that requires 100watts what size of a gauge should i use and why?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Gauge is a measure of wire diameter (smaller gauge is larger diameter). Larger diameter wires have higher current carrying capability so it doesn't heat up too much and pose a fire hazard. Normal U.S. household wiring is 12 gauge I believe.

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

what does, Maximum amps for chassis wiring and Maximum amps for power transmission? Also what is chassis wiring?

The copper electrical wire gauge is logarithmic in ohms/1000 feet:

0 Ga. 0.1 ohms/1000 ft
10 Ga. 1 ohms/1000 ft
20 Ga. 100 ohms/1000 ft
30 Ga 1000 ohms/1000 ft

The recommended max amps for a specific wire gauge is based on power loss and heating. e.g.,

Bare wire with convection cooling
insulated wire with convection cooling
insulated wire in bundles or in conduit
Chassis wiring

Bob S

Related to Wire Gauges: Explaining Sizes & Electric Current Capacity

1. What is the purpose of wire gauges?

Wire gauges are used to measure the diameter of a wire. This is important because the diameter of a wire directly affects its electrical resistance and current carrying capacity. By knowing the gauge of a wire, we can determine the appropriate amount of current that can safely flow through it.

2. How are wire gauges measured?

Wire gauges are typically measured in either standard American Wire Gauge (AWG) or metric measurements. In AWG, the gauge number corresponds to a specific diameter of wire. The lower the gauge number, the thicker the wire. In metric measurements, the gauge number is measured in millimeters, with a smaller number indicating a thicker wire.

3. What is the relationship between wire gauge and current capacity?

The thickness of a wire, determined by its gauge, directly affects its current carrying capacity. Thicker wires have lower resistance, allowing them to carry more current without overheating. This is why thicker wires are used for higher current applications, such as in household wiring for appliances.

4. What is the maximum current capacity for different wire gauges?

The maximum current capacity for different wire gauges varies depending on the material and type of wire. However, as a general rule of thumb, a 12-gauge wire can safely carry up to 20 amps, while a 14-gauge wire can carry up to 15 amps. It is important to consult a wire gauge chart or consult an electrician for the specific maximum current capacity of a wire.

5. Can I use a wire with a higher gauge than recommended for my application?

It is not recommended to use a wire with a higher gauge than recommended for your application. This is because a thicker wire may not fit properly in the designated space or connectors, and it may also lead to overheating and potential fire hazards. It is always best to use the appropriate gauge wire for your specific application.