Wireless Card Setup for Linux: HP ZV5240us & Broadcom 54g

In summary, the conversation is about using an HP zv5240us with a Broadcom 54g wireless card. The speaker needs help configuring the card and asks if YAST can be used or if ndiswrapper is needed. They also inquire about whether Broadcom supports the chipset with linux drivers. A suggestion is given to try asking for help on a specific website and it is mentioned that ndiswrapper may work. The speaker also mentions wanting to be able to use a button to turn the card on and off like in windows.
physicsCU
OK, I have an HP zv5240us with a Broadcom 54g wireless card.

This card is needed for me to connect. I have heard that YAST can be used to configure the card and I have also heard that ndiswrapper is needed.

So does anyone have any ideas?

Also, does broadcom support that chipset with linux drivers?

Thanks all!

Computer science news on Phys.org
You might want to try asking http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions, as you're more likely to be able to find someone who can help you :wink:. The http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/List doesn't list your card, but that doesn't mean it won't work. You could try NdisWrapper and see. There's an installation guide in the wiki somewhere and it's pretty good IMO. Not sure about using YaST to configure, as I've never used SuSe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now if i could figure out how to use the button to turn on and off the card just like in windows, i would be gold.

1. What is a wireless card setup for Linux?

A wireless card setup for Linux is the process of configuring and installing a wireless network adapter on a Linux operating system. This allows the computer to connect to a wireless network and access the internet without the need for a physical Ethernet connection.

2. Can I use a wireless card on my HP ZV5240us laptop with Linux?

Yes, you can use a wireless card on your HP ZV5240us laptop with Linux. However, you may need to install additional drivers or firmware to make the card compatible with your specific Linux distribution.

3. How do I know if my wireless card is compatible with Linux?

You can check the compatibility of your wireless card with Linux by researching the specific model number and manufacturer. You can also refer to the Linux hardware compatibility list or forums for information on supported devices.

4. What is the Broadcom 54g wireless card used for?

The Broadcom 54g wireless card is a network adapter that allows devices to connect to a wireless network. It is commonly used in laptops and desktop computers to enable wireless internet access.

5. How do I set up a Broadcom 54g wireless card on Linux?

The steps to set up a Broadcom 54g wireless card on Linux may vary depending on your specific distribution. However, in general, you will need to install the appropriate drivers or firmware, configure the network settings, and connect to a wireless network through the network manager or command line. It is recommended to refer to the documentation or forums of your specific Linux distribution for detailed instructions.