How to Track & Prevent Users From Your Wireless Network

In summary: Doing both of these will make it much less likely that neighbors or passersby will be able to access your network.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I have a question...

If you have a unsecured network, is it possible to track users hooked up to your network? Say neighbours?

If so, how do you do it? And, can you prevent them from logging on to your network without using a secured network?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Most/all wireless routers/access points have an application that runs on the router for administrative purposes. You can access that application with a web browser and view the log. You can then use the router's access control feature to allow only devices with specific mac addresses to be granted access.

How do you view that using a web browser?

JasonRox said:
How do you view that using a web browser?
By typing the ip address into the address bar of the browser. Check the manual of the router for the ip and the default username/password.

Ok, thanks!

Why not just put a simple password on the account? It might not keep out a determined hacker, but it'll certainly keep out the average neighbor. When I have guests, I just tell them the password so they can connect to my network with their own laptops...obviously I don't use the same password for my network as for other accounts, so I can give it out to those who I don't mind having access.

JasonRox said:
I have a question...

If you have a unsecured network, is it possible to track users hooked up to your network? Say neighbours?

If so, how do you do it? And, can you prevent them from logging on to your network without using a secured network?

Log into your router and look for "attached" devices". This is how its usually done on Netgear AP's, should be similar on Linksys or D-Link

There is many free tools availible online for performing network tasks like this. I would recommend wireshark.

This might be a fun deterrent:
http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pete/upside-down-ternet.html

(By the way, my router has a way to list the attached devices.

If your network is unsecured [via WEP or WPA or something], could you still use access control via the MAC address... as a deterrent against the average user? )

I have both WPA and Mac address restrictions in place on my wireless network.

robphy said:
This might be a fun deterrent:
http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pete/upside-down-ternet.html

(By the way, my router has a way to list the attached devices.

If your network is unsecured [via WEP or WPA or something], could you still use access control via the MAC address... as a deterrent against the average user? )

Yes you can. You can also completely stop the router from broadcasting the SSID. This will keep any amateur hackers and nosy neighbors from even seeing your network. The one any only downside is, that you will have to manually enter your networks name when attempting to have a computer access your network. I doubt having to type in a few letters would be that much trouble though. It's how mine is secured.

It's still possible to detect a network with a hidden ssid - it has to be in order to find an unused channel. Having said that, using MAC address limiting and hiddne ssid will stop 99.9% of people using your network.
Turning on wpa will stop pretty much anyone seeing your traffic.

mgb_phys said:
It's still possible to detect a network with a hidden ssid - it has to be in order to find an unused channel. Having said that, using MAC address limiting and hiddne ssid will stop 99.9% of people using your network.
Turning on wpa will stop pretty much anyone seeing your traffic.

Yeah, they can still find it, but they have to put more effort into it than 90% of the people who will happen to just 'come across' the network. If you live in a typical neighborhood I doubt anyone within your range would be able to access it... unless you happen to see a stranger in a strange car parked along side of the road outside your house for days on end.

It's like someone trying to look for coins on a beach without a metal detector.

I keep all my stuff open, except for a firewall to the internet. My router doesn't transmit much outside my walls, so I'm not worried :)

You may want to turn on MAC address restrictions (making sure you include the MAC addresses of all your devices), and turn on stealth mode so the router doesn't advertise your network.

1. How can I track users on my wireless network?

To track users on your wireless network, you can use a network monitoring tool or software that allows you to view the devices connected to your network. This will show you the IP addresses, MAC addresses, and other information of the devices connected to your network.

2. Can I block certain devices from connecting to my wireless network?

Yes, you can block certain devices from connecting to your wireless network by using the MAC filtering feature on your router. This will allow you to specify which devices are allowed or not allowed to connect to your network.

3. How can I prevent unauthorized users from accessing my wireless network?

To prevent unauthorized users from accessing your wireless network, you can enable WPA2 encryption on your network. This will require a password for anyone to connect, making it difficult for unauthorized users to access your network.

4. Is it possible to monitor the internet usage of users on my wireless network?

Yes, it is possible to monitor the internet usage of users on your wireless network. You can use a network monitoring tool or software to track the websites and data usage of devices connected to your network.

5. What should I do if I suspect someone is stealing my Wi-Fi?

If you suspect someone is stealing your Wi-Fi, you can change your Wi-Fi password to prevent them from accessing your network. You can also monitor your network and block any unknown devices that may be connected to your network.