Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

WMAP or Planck Maps (cartesian projection)

1. Jan 8, 2015 #1
    Does anyone know where I might find WMAP and/or Planck maps of the dipole/quadrupole/octupole images that were done using the cartesian cylindrical projection? I've been able to find them in the standard Mollweide projection via Google images but can't seem to find any that were made with the cartesian projection.

Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2015 #2

e.bar.goum

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

4. Jan 9, 2015 #3
    Thanks, e.bar.goum, I saw those and yes that is the format I was looking for but I need the dipole, quadrupole and octopole in the same format like the image below but in the cartesian projection format instead of the mollweide:

source: http://www.aanda.org/articles/aa/full/2007/11/aa5585-06/img89.gif
    img89.gif

I know there is software to generate the images but I am not a programmer and couldn't figure out how to even install the software to get it to work.

5. Jan 9, 2015 #4
    I found an easy answer for a quick fix for anyone else interested. There's a Photoshop plugin called Flexify 2 that will allow you to convert a Mollweide image to equirectangular image which seems to do the trick.

6. Jan 9, 2015 #5

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I'm curious to know what it looks like when you convert. Would it be a lot of trouble just to attach a picture of the DIPOLE? If it's complicated please don't bother but if it isn't I would really like to see the dipole. I like it because it represents the solar system's motion through the CMB rest frame, motion relative to the ancient light from primordial matter the first time the universe became transparent.

Ooops, it looks like what you have is a picture of the dipole generated by the motion of the LOCAL GROUP of galaxies. Not the motion of the solar system. The hot spot is in the southern hemisphere, the hot spot is the red. I am not so interested in that because it is not what we actually see, it is inferred. We infer that our galaxy is heading in the direction of the constellation Krater (wine cup) or else think Corvus (a brighter constellation near Krater).

Well at this point I'm a bit confused. Do you have a map of the dipole with the hotspot around constellation Leo? that would be the solar system motion's dipole. the hotspot would be somewhat in the northern hemisphere.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook