WMAP or Planck Maps (cartesian projection)

In summary, the person looking for WMAP and/or Planck maps of the dipole/quadrupole/octupole images that were done using the cartesian cylindrical projection found that there is a Photoshop plugin called Flexify 2 that will allow them to convert a Mollweide image to equirectangular image. This image allows them to see the solar system's motion through the CMB rest frame, relative to the ancient light from primordial matter the first time the universe became transparent.
kcjpro
Does anyone know where I might find WMAP and/or Planck maps of the dipole/quadrupole/octupole images that were done using the cartesian cylindrical projection? I've been able to find them in the standard Mollweide projection via Google images but can't seem to find any that were made with the cartesian projection.

Thanks for any help!

Space news on Phys.org
Thanks, e.bar.goum, I saw those and yes that is the format I was looking for but I need the dipole, quadrupole and octopole in the same format like the image below but in the cartesian projection format instead of the mollweide:

source: http://www.aanda.org/articles/aa/full/2007/11/aa5585-06/img89.gif
img89.gif

I know there is software to generate the images but I am not a programmer and couldn't figure out how to even install the software to get it to work.

I found an easy answer for a quick fix for anyone else interested. There's a Photoshop plugin called Flexify 2 that will allow you to convert a Mollweide image to equirectangular image which seems to do the trick.

I'm curious to know what it looks like when you convert. Would it be a lot of trouble just to attach a picture of the DIPOLE? If it's complicated please don't bother but if it isn't I would really like to see the dipole. I like it because it represents the solar system's motion through the CMB rest frame, motion relative to the ancient light from primordial matter the first time the universe became transparent.

Ooops, it looks like what you have is a picture of the dipole generated by the motion of the LOCAL GROUP of galaxies. Not the motion of the solar system. The hot spot is in the southern hemisphere, the hot spot is the red. I am not so interested in that because it is not what we actually see, it is inferred. We infer that our galaxy is heading in the direction of the constellation Krater (wine cup) or else think Corvus (a brighter constellation near Krater).

Well at this point I'm a bit confused. Do you have a map of the dipole with the hotspot around constellation Leo? that would be the solar system motion's dipole. the hotspot would be somewhat in the northern hemisphere.

Last edited:

1. What is WMAP or Planck Maps?

WMAP (Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe) and Planck Maps are two satellite missions that were designed to study the cosmic microwave background radiation (CMB) - the leftover radiation from the Big Bang. These maps show temperature fluctuations in the CMB which can provide insights into the early universe and its evolution.

2. How are the WMAP and Planck Maps created?

The WMAP and Planck Maps are created using data collected by the satellites' instruments. The data is then processed and analyzed using complex algorithms to produce maps of the CMB temperature fluctuations. These maps are in the form of a cartesian projection, which is a way of representing a spherical object (like the sky) on a flat surface.

3. What information can we learn from the WMAP and Planck Maps?

The WMAP and Planck Maps provide valuable information about the age, composition, and evolution of the universe. They can also help us understand the distribution of matter and energy in the early universe, as well as the processes that shaped the universe into its current state.

4. How do the WMAP and Planck Maps contribute to our understanding of the Big Bang theory?

The WMAP and Planck Maps provide evidence that supports the Big Bang theory. They show a nearly uniform distribution of the CMB temperature fluctuations, which is consistent with the idea that the universe was once extremely hot and dense, and has been expanding and cooling ever since.

5. What are the applications of the WMAP and Planck Maps?

The WMAP and Planck Maps have numerous applications in cosmology and astrophysics. They have helped us understand the origins of the universe, the formation of large-scale structures such as galaxies and galaxy clusters, and the nature of dark matter and dark energy. They have also been used to test various cosmological models and theories, and have provided valuable data for future missions and research projects.